cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'I just don't care,' says texting driver who hit cyclist

TORPC
Grafter

'I just don't care,' says texting driver who hit cyclist

[quote=http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/i-just-dont-care-says-texting-driver-who-hit-cyclist/]A 21-year-old Australian woman pleads guilty to dangerous driving after using her phone to text seven different numbers and then hitting a cyclist, causing multiple injuries, including a spinal fracture.
Should get life imprisonment me thinks
8 REPLIES
WTF
Grafter

Re: 'I just don't care,' says texting driver who hit cyclist

That's nothing: there's a woman in Canada who's suing her victim's parents.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

It's a sick and twisted world out there.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
TORPC
Grafter

Eye there sure is.......
Community Veteran

I can understand the woman in Canada.
I knew someone who was in an accident with a motorcyclist. The motorcyclist died. It was the motorcyclists fault.
They ended up suing their estate (basically their parents) for damages and costs.
As was said by the parents. How could anyone do that, our son is dead.
As was said by the other driver. It's the way things work. I have costs / bills to pay. None of this is my fault. I'm an innocent victim.

Fixes: 124

Can't see how the Canadian family can have a case to counter-sue citing that the driver 'was speeding and/or texting when she hit the teens' when the police have already cleared her of any fault.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Interesting thing here is..the cyclist hit the side of her car. So either she crossed a stop line or the cyclist did.
As for "Can't see how the Canadian family can have a case to counter-sue..."  I should imagine the laws are pretty much the same as they are here, and they could sure in the civil courts.
Without knowing the whole case,I find that my experiences of cyclists here in the UK means I have little sympathy if the cyclist was not riding responsibly.I drive daily through Cambridge and am waiting for the day when I kill a cyclist. I don't want to. I hope it doesn't happen. But I expect it will. The police do nothing to  preventthem going up one way streets - the wrong way. Or cycling through red traffic lights. Our cycling across the park and straight across a zebra crossing, against the lights, without dismounting or even giving traffic a chance to stop.
We have cyclist riding around drunk, texting while riding, juggling- yes juggling, and most of the time with music plugged into their ears-do they couldn't hear a warning blast on the horn anyway.
But even then I have more respect for them than the parents of children who buy them a horse and a hard hat and send them out to play in the traffic. These people should have their children taken away. Would a responsible adult send a gotten year old girl out in a car that had temperamental brakes, and a throttled that could suddenly stick down, and steering that could go anywhere it wanted to? That describes a horse. Yet these children go out in traffic, sometimes with mum or dad on a cycle ( what good is that going to do if the house bolts?) They abdicate their responsibility. At least the cyclists risks their own lives. These parents risk their children's lives.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Last post. Oops. Loads of typos. Sorry. You can work out out.
TORPC
Grafter

I was curious as to what you had spotted
Loads of typo's Eh.....
Only 2 according to firefox inbuilt checker set to English UK & then 1 was no space between 2 words
nought to worry about Smiley