Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I hope he wins a packet

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I hope he wins a packet

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13161170
The landlord of murdered landscape architect Jo Yeates has launched libel and privacy claims against a string of newspapers.
Christopher Jefferies is to sue the Sun, Daily Mirror, Daily Mail, Daily Express and Daily Star "among others", according to his lawyer Louis Charalambous.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: I hope he wins a packet

Well to be honest everyone was a bit quick to jump the gun in my opinion. It was rather embarrassing to see the nation jump to the wrong conclusion and then be seen to be wrong and the poor sod was innocent.
I dislike the attitude of the newspapers who think they can slag people off and get away with it. Frankly i hope it costs them dearly.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
MrC
Grafter

Me too. The poor bloke was demonised from the start, not just in the presumed guilty slant of the stories but in the pictures they printed and the detail of his past that was raked up. ISTR there were comments from the police and the judiciary at the time warning that the press were pre-judging the case.
Community Veteran

I remember most of the reports were very careful not to accuse the guy but simply report what was happening.  The media would have their lawyers crawling all over the details prior to publication.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

artmo i'm sorry but thats wrong. The newspapers frequently publish the wrong thing. They don't care they've got so much money they don't worry about legal costs.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!