cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I hate car insurance renewal time...

Fixes: 121

I hate car insurance renewal time...

Renewal quote from Hastings Direct received today : over £600!
Last year it was around £200 plus a little under £100 six months later to add SWMBO.
A new quote just for me is less than £200 but keeps throwing a wobbly when attempting to add SWMBO.
So, time to do the rounds of getting quotes. I've stopped using comparisons sites because by the time I've read through each and made adjustments either mentally or through the linked sites I may as well have done it manually anyway.
The best quote so far is £214.13 with the AA who for two years had been too high to consider (today's quote was even with reducing my voluntary excess to £100). Although it includes key cover up to £1000 it is only for the actual car and locks rather than for any key on the fob and their respective lock. But I think my contents insurance will cover that anyway - besides I've never needed to make a claim on house keys/locks in over 20 years).
Not sure why but the AA didn't like the date I put in for SWMBO DoB which, albeit was wrong for her, was still a valid date. Was really surprised me was the note in red.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

27 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: I hate car insurance renewal time...

Maybe doesn't like the 05 or the 19 bit?
But I agree driving @105?
Also try Aviva who I am with again after moving a few years ago. I like things like FREE changes when done via the web site, others charge ~£25 to do the same.

Quote from: Hairy
Also try Aviva who I am with again after moving a few years ago.

Will do, thanks.
Quote from: Hairy
I like things like FREE changes when done via the web site, others charge ~£25 to do the same.

Even if done over the phone I can't see how they can justify such a charge Undecided
To add salt in the wound HastingsDirect give an 0844 number. Thankfully I already know the free-phone number.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

We always use a broker - A-Plan; they seem to get me good deals regardless of any complexity.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Just had a quote from 'the dog' for our runabout £130 f/c, we left them 3 years ago (for Hastings) when the premium reached £250, Hasting just offered renewal at £275, so am back with the dog.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

NOTA BENE !.... The AA does not do car insurance.... they are acting for an insurance group. and you are paying them ( the AA ) a service charge... I found this out one year.... and would not use them again... I am with LV and got my insurance renwal ... £20 more than the previous year... so I went to their website..  and put in all my details exactly as on the renewal notice and got a £20 reduction.. phone them up , and the agreed to it...  Cheesy

Yep - I understand about the AA.
Even so they are still the lowest quote so far.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

If you pay by instalments.... beware... when your next renewal comes up .... and you change your insurance company.... the AA will still take your monthly payments for the service charge... ( also be aware, they may do the same if you pay it all up front..... hoping you have forgotten to cancel .... ! )

For the last few years I have always paid the full annual fee even if, as some companies do, they offer instalments free of charge.
I thought auto-renewals were illegal now. Hastings explicitly stated on their renewal that I need do nothing if I choose not to renew with them.

Fixes: 101

Quote from: AlaricAdair
We always use a broker - A-Plan; they seem to get me good deals regardless of any complexity.

I've just used A-Plan for our Church minibus, got us a great price.
For my car Aviva are looking the most likely for me again, no one has matched their quote let alone beaten it.
Will Moderate For Thanks

I just tried Aviva and their quote was almost £50 higher just for me and wouldn't quote for SWMBO to be added Sad
Bear in mind that some of this is relative to the point of customer service, ease of contact/claims and, as mentioned by HairyBiker, charges for making any changes further down the line. Cheapest is not always best but is a good starting point. Over the last 10 or more years I have only used the AA and Hastings and never had any issues with either. Then again, never had to make any claims Wink

thomasjc1
Grafter

If you go through quidco you can get £26 cashback for AA,  £70 for aviva and £75 tesco bank
Devonian
Grafter

I've found for my insurance that the large companies are always the most expensive.
I have also found that within days of searching forr quotes from any insurance companies, the number of nuisance sales calls on my home phone rockets... hence now I always give the local taxi firms number. Wink

Community Veteran

Quote from: Devonian
I always give the local taxi firms number. Wink

I always give them one of my "free" 0844 numbers. Which generally go to an answering service that just says call back later.
Devonian
Grafter

Grin