cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I got a spam email - I do hope the attachment contains a virus!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I got a spam email - I do hope the attachment contains a virus!

I received an unsolicited email, telling me that as soon as I completed and returned the attached form, my 'money' would be transferred to my account.
So I copied the senders address and forwarded it back to them, substituting the text for a really 'grateful' message, begging them to send me the money as soon as possible - making sure the attachment was still there. let them open their own garbage.  I do hope it's  really nasty virus!! Wink Wink
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: I got a spam email - I do hope the attachment contains a virus!

well done, all you've done there is confirm to them that your email address is "live" and a real one.
the absolute worst thing you can do with any spam email is to reply to it or attempt to "unsubscribe".
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

The other thing you need to know is a lot of spam email use email addresses belonging to real people, not knowing that a spam server has used their address as the sender ID, so sending such a message to someone who is innocent in the whole deal is pretty unpleasant...
The best advice for spam is just delete it, don't respond to it or click anything in it, if it's pertaining to be from a financial institution, just forward the message to the real company's spam reporting address (usually spam@thecompanynamedotwhatever) and let the experts deal with it...
2u2me
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Yeah, I sometimes get some false pay-pal emails, which I forward to their spam reporting address, they reply with a thank you message, (but never any reward Cry