Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I feel sick.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I feel sick.

Well it seems that the NHS now prefers sexiness and looks over peoples health:

I've been suffering for years with a condition that the NHS openly admitted has an easy fix. It's made other parts of my body deteriorate (joints etc) and I've virtually become a cripple because they refused to help me. I've suffered with depression for years and yet apparently they'll help an already fairly reasonable looking woman to enhance her 'assets' just because she claims she's depressed? I've been in excruciating pain for YEARS and they've not given a damn.
They wouldn't do a damn thing for me and they've even brushed my written complaint under the carpet too. I really cannot understand this.
NHS = Negligent Hostile S***s.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
49 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: I feel sick.

I wouldn't call that sexy in the slightest.
This has been about for a few days now - I remember reading on the Daily Mail article that she looked like a bulldog that had just licked a stinging nettle .......
nadger
Rising Star

Much as I hate to say it some people do seem to get better NHS treatment than others.
I was 73 when first diagnosed with advanced bladder cancer and treatment for this and abdominal aortic aneurysm have been superb. At no time have I felt that I was too old for them to bother with.
I do agree that it's difficult to justify free boob jobs on NHS.
Community Veteran

To be honest with you I think the reporting has gone overboard a bit on this.
She was a size AA cup with underdeveloped breast tissue and technically was entitled to a boob job as it was affecting her self confidence (allegedly).
As it was being done already, it wouldn't have cost the NHS much more (if anything) to pop in a larger implant.
However I still think she looks minging.
Fixes: 123

I read in the mail the other day that she wants to become like her idol, Jordan (Katie Price). Says it all, really.
Perhaps, if she does make it, she'll repay the NHS the £4800. Somehow I doubt it, though.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

@sprite.  I sit on a number of NHS groups and cannot see how you are simply not being treated for what you say is a straightforward condition.  There has to be other reasons why treatment is withheld.  I assume you have spoken to your GP and got nowhere.  Write to the chairman of your Clinical Commissioning Group and ask for a full explanation for your lack of treatment.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Unfortunately the elderly are seen as second class citizens when it comes to health care. The attitude seems to be why spend thousands of pounds on them as they are not likely to be around much longer. ?
I Fully agree with Sprite contact the Clinical Commissioning group.
If you fail to get anywhere then go to the press.
In this day and age is seems the more fuss you make the greater your chances of getting something done.
Almost every week we read in the press about the lack of treatment or care for the elderly so the more fuss we all make the better.
James
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
@sprite.  I sit on a number of NHS groups and cannot see how you are simply not being treated for what you say is a straightforward condition.  There has to be other reasons why treatment is withheld.  I assume you have spoken to your GP and got nowhere.  Write to the chairman of your Clinical Commissioning Group and ask for a full explanation for your lack of treatment.

I suffer from fundal albinism, nystagmus, asygmatism, optic nerve hypoplasia, photophobia, myopia and strabismus. I have had several attempts at corrective surgery. I also have severe negative pressure inside my middle and inner ear.  I have have approximately 15 operations on my ears and am about to receive my first set of hearing aids.  The treatment I have received in my life time has been fairly extensive and superb.  Without the NHS this treatment will have cost tens upon tens of thousands of pounds, perhaps even in the region of six figures. In my mind, whilst of course there are horror stories, the NHS has been both invaluable and superb.
Community Veteran

I use both the NHS and private sectors so can compare both services.  I agree with your comments about the NHS.  It generally  provides an excellent service. In emergency care the private sector is unable to compete.  Where the private sector wins is speed of delivery and its hotel services. Also in the private sector care is provided only by consultant level clinicians.
Fixes: 123

Me, too.
There's a great misconception that you'd get much better treatment under in the private sector then the NHS.
In my experience this wasn't the case. In both instances it was the same consultant overseeing treatment but the rest of the private team did not have as much knowledge or expertise as the NHS staff.
Yes, the private hospital was more like a hotel and the food was far better and plentiful but the NHS wins based on treatment alone.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

@sprite.  I sit on a number of NHS groups and cannot see how you are simply not being treated for what you say is a straightforward condition. 

I can't say too much at the moment for legal reasons but basically it was clinical negligence and a urologist who told me to "put up with it" because he didn't want the job. My health deteriorated, joints started becoming extremely painful (not good in a physical job) and it just continued downhill.
They did eventually agree to a second opinion years later at a different hospital and that one was far superior and they offered a minor procedure which lasted a few months. My joints improved, along with the main issue but this lasted a few months only before coming back. Since then they've been dragging their heels over it again dragging it out.
There has to be other reasons why treatment is withheld. 

Yes.. clinical BS basically. I was told by the urologist that they wouldn't do anything as it was risky despite me pleading that I'd prefer to take the risk. Report sent back to GP saying "we're doing nothing" and that was the end of it. After the minor procedure I made a FOI request and found out that this 'safer' operation had been available for many years and that basically I'd been lied to by the urologist who told me there was nothing else they could offer me.
I assume you have spoken to your GP and got nowhere. 

We've fallen out many times over this and he wasn't happy when I mentioned my FOI request and reply back. When I mentioned that the first procedure had taken care of my other health issues I got told "ah yes thats common, no-one was thinking about that at the time". They're paid to think about that and when they admit its common and just not been giving it any thought, thats clinical negligence. They've destroyed years of my life (you don't really think I enjoy being 'negative' do you? - this has played a very large part of my life for many years).
Write to the chairman of your Clinical Commissioning Group and ask for a full explanation for your lack of treatment.

I may well do that actually, I appreciate the tip.
One thing I have noticed is that it seems to depend which hospital / area you deal with as to what treatment you get. I live in a area with a lot of chavs etc and my hospital was useless. They didn't give a damn and yet the one which did try to help me (even though it failed) was in a very upmarket area where there is a lot of money etc.
At the moment I'm in pain pretty much every day. Most house hold tasks are a struggle and it's hard to stay positive when you're in so much pain. I have plenty to be depressed about and yet they'll operate on a young girl and turn her into a topless model because she claims to be depressed?
I really don't get this country.
nadger
Rising Star

Guess I've been lucky with consultant urologist who's looked after me for over 4 years and performed my 6 hour radical op in June 2009  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: James
I suffer from fundal albinism, nystagmus, asygmatism, optic nerve hypoplasia, photophobia, myopia and strabismus. I have had several attempts at corrective surgery. I also have severe negative pressure inside my middle and inner ear.  I have have approximately 15 operations on my ears and am about to receive my first set of hearing aids.  The treatment I have received in my life time has been fairly extensive and superb.  Without the NHS this treatment will have cost tens upon tens of thousands of pounds, perhaps even in the region of six figures. In my mind, whilst of course there are horror stories, the NHS has been both invaluable and superb.

Sorry to hear about your list of problems but I still think that in general terms the NHS are more likely to give priority treatment to those of a working age rather than people who are retired.
I accept it's not possible to generalize as there are certain places in the country where services for the elderly are excellent and in my experience it's largely down to either the consultants or local groups acting on behalf of the elderly that bring pressure to bear on the local NHS Board. The last thing any NHS Trust wants is bad publicity.
However it appears to me based on news reports that there are far more horror stories linked to care of the elderly than any other group with groups such as those with mental health problems not far behind.
adie:green fixed quote
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
I still think that in general terms the NHS are more likely to give priority treatment to those of a working age rather than people who are retired.

On the contrary when the NHS eventually took me in after years of suffering and they reluctantly did something for me, I was in a ward with six people. I was the only one who was below the age of 60. The others were all old people and I was 29. Needless to say it wasn't the most enjoyable experience.
jim:green quote fixed mod:end
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
Sorry to hear about your list of problems but I still think that in general terms the NHS are more likely to give priority treatment to those of a working age rather than people who are retired.
I accept it's not possible to generalize as there are certain places in the country where services for the elderly are excellent and in my experience it's largely down to either the consultants or local groups acting on behalf of the elderly that bring pressure to bear on the local NHS Board. The last thing any NHS Trust wants is bad publicity.

Against the law to deny treatment on age.