cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I feel like crying

thisoldman
Grafter

I feel like crying

ok so im getting old like everyone else, and i dont particuarly like change. That I admit.
Yesteday for the first time in 5 years i purchased a copy of what hi -fi magazine, expecting to see updates to the usual range of hifi hardware cd players speakers amplifiers  etc etc.
Blow me.    i nearly fainted when i realised how out of touch i was with modern technology.

apple airplay...........music streaming.........3d projectors...........virgin media next generation entertainment platform.........
equinux tizi    .......ypao reflected sound control...........
As i started to read this i fainted....." arcams wave usb dongle uses KLEER wireless technology to link your computer into the rDAC and the system will still support the asynchronous usb technology that encapsulates the rDAc technological  sonic edge.
After 20 minutes i gave up reading the silly magazine.

Does anyyone else in here feel they are losing the technology plot?

13 REPLIES
thisoldman
Grafter

Re: I feel like crying

sorry i forget to post my ancient hi-fi set up.
tdl floor standing speakers  custom built for my hearing            1985
musical fidelity power amp 300 watts                                              1984
marantz cd player                                                                                  1990
musical fidelity pre amp                                                                          1984
sony dvd recorder  160 gb                                                                        2003
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

And your favourite comedy programme on radio....?  
Possibly.................................  "Ray`s a laugh".....  Roll eyes

pierre_pierre
Grafter

up to the DVD there is that old saying

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

There's nothing wrong with old tech TOM but its the falling behind with modern tech which I think is your issue.
I got plenty of old tech... most of it is from freecycle (in other words other peoples old unwanted and worthless junk). I normally fix it up etc but at the same time I'm a few years behind everyone else with my tech. While most people here are using a minimum of dual core I'm still on single. Most see Sky as a standard thing and I've never had it in my life - heck I think freeview is lucky! Never had a computer games console. My hifi is the PC with a freecycled speaker system..
At the end of the day as long as it works thats all that counts. One day I'd like to get an Iphone or something as they seem like they have a lot of potential from a programmers POV but I suspect thats still a few years away from me at he moment.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: okrzynska
There's nothing wrong with old tech TOM but its the falling behind with modern tech which I think is your issue.

Yes ........... but, I find the quality of the sound on my old valve radio set (deeper, richer) far better than my modern DABS radio (flat, shallow, sound).
Since TOM posted I've listened to "War of the Worlds" for comparison, (I have it on LP and CD). The LP on an old B&O Valve set, the CD on a modern Sony.
Feel that modern technology has lost "reproduction quality" (although would probably agree its unfair to compare an old B&O with modern Sony)
thisoldman
Grafter

apple airplay...........music streaming.........3d projectors...........virgin media next generation entertainment platform.........
equinux tizi     .......ypao reflected sound control...........
As i started to read this i fainted....." arcams wave usb dongle uses KLEER wireless technology to link your computer into the rDAC and the system will still support the asynchronous usb technology that encapsulates the rDAc technological  sonic edge.

Txs for replies but...............

did any of you actually understand the above rubbish    arcams wave    etc etc etc

Community Veteran

Nope not really. Half of it is just fancy names for the manufacturers new methods of doing things. It doesn't really mean much.
Gotta agree though, old record players did have a nicer sound to them. I guess thats why so many DJs in clubs still use them.
Community Veteran

Quote from: thisoldman
Does anyyone else in here feel they are losing the technology plot?
Yes, Televisions, dvd recorders, and HiFi are now a mystery to me. The jargon is mind numbing.
Fixes: 125

Sometimes I just yearn for the days when you plugged something in, turned it on and it worked  Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 104

no, i feel quite happy with it all.
Will Moderate For Thanks
pierre_pierre
Grafter

picked up a cheapish DAB radio yesterday, as the powesr that be reckon they are going to turn off Analogue and FM radio within a couple of years.

Do you know what, I could not get the Local BBC at the back of my house and only from the window at the front,  I can get it anywhere on FM and Medium wave,  And on one of the Medium waves stations I have got it on the car radio over 150 miles away to the North and West
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Not true...  analogue and FM have had a reprieve...  first paragraph. The govt is aware of the difficulties and decided a few months ago to tread softly.
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/dab/fm_switch-off.htm
Community Veteran

That would tie in with the car manufacturing problem I read a while back too. It was about 3 months back I read somewhere (might of been here on this forum) that despite the plans to turn off analogue radio, car manufacturers were still fitting analogue radios to cars despite knowing that in a couple of years they would be useless. It seems that they hadn't quite grasped the situation as quickly as TV and TV recorder manufacturers. I suspect thats the cause of it being delayed otherwise it might affect new car sales by 0.0000001% and we couldn't have that now could we.