cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't like spiders but...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I don't like spiders but...

As I've got older I've become much more tolerant of them. I still don't want to get too close or ughh! handle them but these days believe them to be one of the more useful insects...
In the regular coach I drive, at the top of the windscreen somewhere in the rubber surround lives a small spider. I park up each morning for half-hour or so just before sun-rise, just as dawn breaks the spider (who I've taken to calling George after another blood-sucker) moves down the screen a few inches and waits. after a short while a small aphid type bug will alight on the screen.
With lightning speed George captures the bug, rapidly trusses it up with its webbing material and scoots back to his lair at the top edge of the windscreen with his breakfast presumably to be consumed at his leisure later. This has happened every morning (when I'm driving) for the last few weeks.
Fascinating to see "nature" at work. Anyone else have other tales like it?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: I don't like spiders but...

Spiders are cool, they eat flies and stuff.
I don't like the very large tropical ones with a nasty bite though.
Many useful creatures get 'persecuted' because some people find them 'scary', bats are another great example of a creature that keeps the insect population under control.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Let's hear it for spiders then... Cool
(note to admin, we need a "hooray" smiley)
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
CX
Grafter

Quote from: w23
Many useful creatures get 'persecuted' because some people find them 'scary',

It's amazing how many people's reaction when afraid of spiders is "squash it". I don't like being around spiders but I could never bring myself to intentionally squash one or suck it up the vacuum cleaner.
Spiders are one reason that I will probably never visit Australia. When you hear stories of being able to feel one land on your back and run down your leg, it kind of puts you off.
Fixes: 124

I often wonder where this fear of spiders comes from.
Is it inherited from our parents or from watching others show fear when we're children? Or could it be from watching films/TV programs when we're at that impressionable age?
When you compare the size of a spider to the size of a human then why are so many scared of them?
Perhaps it's just they way they look Undecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

I like spiders.  My house has loads of them!  Old house with lots of gaps between floor boards and skirting boards.  Some of the house spiders get really big!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I hate the damn things but I refuse to splat them. Above our door there are plenty of spidy holes for them to live in. We had a couple of huge little bliters up there that haunted us for months coming out and just hanging above the door in their webs. Real big panic attackers...
Eventually they got brave and started to get further out of their holes.. at that point the spider catcher went up, blocked their escape back into their holes and brought them down to earth with a bit of a bump where they were promptly captured and re-homed. Within weeks we had new spiders living there  Crazy
The process now repeats itself every couple of months  Roll eyes
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
JamesM
Grafter

I used to catch funnel web spiders and take them to the local council, they used to give you money for them in order to milk them of their venom for an anti venom.

Spiders are one reason that I will probably never visit Australia

I lived in the bush (2 hour walk to the pub and a three hour walk back  Wink) and in my late teens to mid twenties when walking back from the pub there were no street lights and many a time I couldn't be bothered walking any further so I just used to crash on the floor. I sometimes would wake up with bites that swelled up like rugby balls but nothing serious. The worst thing is when it is night time and you walk between two trees 8 feet apart and walk right through the middle of an 8 foot web. Still if you live in the suburbs then there is nothing really to be afraid of, maybe the odd red back spider.
Fixes: 47

I haven't seen that many funnel web spiders in Sheffield.....well not enough to make it a viable business anyway Sad
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
JamesM
Grafter

True Strat, not a lot of nasties in Sheffield, still it gave me a bit of extra pocket money when I was still in school.
I was building a post and rail fence with my Dad and we were using old pit props that were stored near a shed on our land, I carried a pit prop about 100 metres up to the top of the land on my shoulder, hoisted it off my shoulder into the hole and a scorpion crawled out of the top, not deadly but will make you sick.
2 pythons hanging around in a tree, one turned to the other and said " are we poisonous"? the other said " no", the first snake said " thank god for that, I have just bit my lip".
randpwar
Grafter

I’m not keen on the things but it doesn’t appear to hereditary. My 13 year old son is a very keen Sea Scout and as such spends much of his free time kayaking or sailing and hangs his clothing (splash vest, wet suit, rash vest, boots and BA) in the lean-to outside the back door. Almost every time he comes to put his water clothing on before travelling there is at least one large spider lurking in something. He just picks them up and takes them back to the lean-to disregarding my suggestion that he feeds it to the chickens