Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I do hope that Global Warming doesnt upset your Sat Nav

pierre_pierre
Grafter

I do hope that Global Warming doesnt upset your Sat Nav

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8494225.stm
Researchers say the Sun is awakening after a period of low activity, which does not bode well for a world ever more dependent on satellite navigation.
The Sun's irregular activity can wreak havoc with the weak sat-nav signals we use.
The last time the Sun reached a peak in activity, satellite navigation was barely a consumer product.
1 REPLY
Community Veteran

Re: I do hope that Global Warming doesnt upset your Sat Nav

Interesting - I'm not a scientist, but do have some radio knowledge.
I used sat nav many years ago, and even earlier worked with some engineers from Gardner and Decca on oil rigs etc on the earlier Transit sat nav systems, and that was most certainly the other side of the sun spot cycle.
And even fairly modern GPS receivers are mucm much more sensitive that earlier generation equipment. As long ago as 5 years ago - I was working with professional grade GPS equipment installed in handheld radios - which were much more sensitive that the average GPS reciver the consumer is familiar with. You could use these sensitive receivers inside buildings as long as there was a normal window.
I'm not saying there isn't a potential problem - but I suspect the GPS radio scientific community have been aware of this issue for some time, and developments are in hand to increas the sensitivity of receivers and maybe replace the satellites with ones with more powerful transmitters.
I don't  all together trust the scientific skills on the BBC reporters on this one.
But does anyone have more scientific reports?.