cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I do hope it's not too windy this week !!!

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

My PlusNet Phone & Broadband connection goes to this BT pole, in amongst these trees !!
Otherwise my 15mb/s will become 0mb/s ...
(Purposely low resolution copies)
You wouldn't believe the hassle I've had trying to get the trees cut back.
( Conservation Area & Tree Preservation Orders )
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: I do hope it's not too windy this week !!!

might be an idea to make a ticket out for a fault now,.

so that when it happens, .......

. there is no delay in getting it fixed ! !  Grin
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

I have my 3G Dongle & 3x 1gb for one month Three 3G sims ready !
I average 350mb per daytime, just have to cut back on my overnight allowance until it was fixed.
Overnights average 2gb, mostly for iPlayer downloads
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Rent a chain saw, some tree irons and some climbing equipment  Grin
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: PlusComUK
I have my 3G Dongle & 3x 1gb for one month Three 3G sims ready !

I was just about to suggest that myself! I love mine, it's been truly marvellous considering its so small and gives me internet access anywhere I want. I don't use it much now but its still sat on the desk just in case!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

@Sprite, I have one to as a backup should anything go wrong, In fact I bought one from 3 after you would not stop going on about how good they were, And I quite agree with you, In fact It proved very reliable  for a few weeks when I had no phone or broadband due to moving home.
CX
Grafter

I have an O2 PAYG SIM in an Android phone, which can act as a wifi base station for its 3G connection. I've only needed to use it a couple of times, where they've charged £1 for the day, but it's invaluable. Sure, latency sucks, the speed varies from 300kbps to 1000kbps depending on where it is placed in the room, but it's a connection, and when you have to send off a report and the net is unavailable, it's nice to have it there.
They're a bit confusing with their costs though. They say that it's £1 per day (which is all I've ever been charged), yet elsewhere they state it's £3 per MB, so how can that possibly occur!?!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

@CX23882
Are you referring to tethering?
Community Veteran

Quote from: BluePrint
@Sprite, I have one to as a backup should anything go wrong, In fact I bought one from 3 after you would not stop going on about how good they were, And I quite agree with you, In fact It proved very reliable  for a few weeks when I had no phone or broadband due to moving home.

Yeah mine has saved us a few times when PN has gone down the pan. As for moving.. thats a nightmare. Why on earth haven't BT and the ISPs worked out a way of doing it quickly? - In reality it should only be a few taps on a computer screen but no.. they have to drag it out, then add a service charge for the move etc. I'm glad your dongle has proved useful Wink
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: CX23882
They're a bit confusing with their costs though. They say that it's £1 per day (which is all I've ever been charged), yet elsewhere they state it's £3 per MB, so how can that possibly occur!?!

If the cost is below  £1 then it's charged at a rate of £3 per MB so as soon as you have used 333,333 bytes the cost is capped.
Roberto0151
Grafter

Just spotted this topic so thought  a copy of an old post of mine might help to relieve some worries  Smiley
"During a stormy spell this morning a tree branch broke off and brought down my phone line (and of course broadband).
Using a mobile phone I called PN at around ten past eleven and the Openreach van turned into my drive at twenty past twelve.
By about one fifteen the system was up and running again.
As the culprit was my tree I don't know if I shall be charged, but I certainly could not fault the service from PN or Openreach."
CX
Grafter

Quote from: BluePrint
Are you referring to tethering?

Sort of.
Android phones can do traditional USB tethering, but are also able to act as a wireless access point that you can connect to over wi-fi, sharing the phone's 3G internet connecton, in the same way as you'd connect to your broadband router.
Community Veteran

That certainly sounds cool to be honest. One day I must get myself a smart phone. While I love my 3G dongle to bits the downside is its either plugged in and sticking out of the computer / netbook or its on an extension lead. Neither of which are a great solution really.
Only hard decision though would be a dedicated MiFi 3G router thing with wifi OR use a smartphone for the job which presumably drains the battery faster?
Steve
Seasoned Pro

@sprite, I have a smart phone but some networks don't allow tethering, Also to connect over wifi you must be able to get wifi In the first place? Anyway yes It drains the battery faster but I think It charges your mobile the same time as your using It providing your mobile Is plugged Into a PC with USB lead.
CX
Grafter

I use the Huawei U8150; it was fairly cheap when I picked one up (around £100) but the price seems to have gone up significantly now. I find the battery life to be pretty much halved when wi-fi is active (client mode) compared to just using it as a phone. When it's acting as a wireless hotspot (similar to MiFi), it goes even quicker since both 3G and wifi are active.