Did you mean: 

I didn't think a passenger jet would do this

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I didn't think a passenger jet would do this

11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: I didn't think a passenger jet would do this

Pity they didn't have a cockpit view as well.

I suppose the stresses of all the swooping tight turns are nothing compared to when a plane gets caught in a storm.

Fixes: 125

I've seen a few of these type of videos and am amazed at what these planes can do.

After watching many Air Crash Investigation videos on YouTube recently I am even more amazed at the capabilities of many planes to fly on one engine or even no hydraulics.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I would have loved to have been a passenger Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I thought everyone knew passenger aircraft could fly... Funny

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Probably a pilot from Janet Airline.at the controls.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@AlaricAdair  Nah.... it was the test pilot from "Yokshu AIrlines"....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VLYpKGVBUg

ffox
Rising Star

That's an impressive video.  But......if an aircraft is to sustain a vertical climb then it requires at least as much thrust from the engines as the aircraft weighs.

For example an F15 has 58,320 lbf of thrust; it weighs about 40,000 lb at minimum operating weight and 51,000 lb with max fuel so can always climb vertically (unless laden with more than 7,000 lb of extra payload eg weapons).

The 737 Max in the video has 56,00 lbf of thrust; its minimum operating weight is about 60,000 lb, and when full of fuel and passengers it weighs 177,000 lbs.  This means that the steepest it can climb with minimum payload is at an angle of about 80 degrees. Granted, that is very close to vertical!  When full up it can only manage a climb of 30 degrees or so.

There will only be enough fuel on board for a very short flight when the steep climb is demonstrated.

Community Veteran

Watching the hard turns again reminded me of when I was flying gliders.

Gliders aren't very good at vertical climbs though.Smiley

idonno
Grafter

I think they have been doing such flights to aircraft for many, many years. I've never forgotten watching a VC10 (yes, that old - back in the sixties) trundle down the runway at Gatwick and do exactly the same straight up manoeuvre. The difference was the noise from the engines as it rotated (very loud) and of course, very few people had video recorders back then to say 'hey, look what I saw today' .........  No internet either!

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Working at British Aerospace Warton, where BAe make Fighter jets, watching the Lightnings take off vertically was a daily experience !!

Absolutely brilliant.

And I had to try & film them, in close up !!

Lightnings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgDM3O1GtA8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CDLbokf9sg

at 4:50 

The Vulcans did quite good near vertical take-offs too, at Woodford, where my Dad worked !

Community Veteran
Fixes: 26

I was in a VC10 in the early 80's, taking off from Brize Norton and going to an Island off the African coast, but first we had to pick up supplies at Lineham. There was only two passengers, me an a mate, both Army Sergeants at the time, the pilot reasoned afterwards, that he had to use up fuel before he could land and the manoeuvres were nothing to do with trying to get the pongo's to use the sick bags - it was very good fun - as mention already though. no vids or internet then!