Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I didn't know this could happen - a very expensive bricked electric car

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I didn't know this could happen - a very expensive bricked electric car

http://jalopnik.com/5887265/tesla-motors-devastating-design-problem
Tesla Motors’ Devastating Design Problem
Tesla Motors' lineup of all-electric vehicles — its existing Roadster, almost certainly its impending Model S, and possibly its future Model X — apparently suffer from a severe limitation that can largely destroy the value of the vehicle. If the battery is ever totally discharged, the owner is left with what Tesla describes as a "brick": a completely immobile vehicle that cannot be started or even pushed down the street. The only known remedy is for the owner to pay Tesla approximately $40,000 to replace the entire battery. Unlike practically every other modern car problem, neither Tesla's warranty nor typical car insurance policies provide any protection from this major financial loss. Here's how it happens.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: I didn't know this could happen - a very expensive bricked electric car

Whoops  Cheesy
The thing that it can't even be pushed must mean that its solidly linked through a gearbox to the motor itself with no way to disengage it. Not a good idea.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
itsme
Grafter

A friend of mine who is in the motor trade went to the pre-launch of the Renault electric cars and was discussing this last month as they improve the charging time of the cars. This got me thinking whether electric cars are environmentally a good thing.  If they do take off what will the demand on the national grid be, how many more power stations have to be built?  
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

If the car is charged in wee hours of the night they are effectively using unused generating capacity.
The vauxhall lead acid battery on my old Sintra is a bit like that, it fails suddenly any time between 12 months and 18 months. Keerr Ching £175 + labour + VAT. The american genius's (genii ?) chose a side terminal battery - rare in the UK and buried it under components so it is not a roadside change. No warning of failure either.
Fortunately not as expensive as a flaked Tesla battery.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
itsme
Grafter

Yes there is a drop of 10,000MWh roughly between midnight and 8:00 so not sure how many cars this will charge. And I would not say it's unused generating capacity as I would expect that a power station or 2 are taken off line.
But what will happen in the daytime when users do a fast charge, which for Renault last 10 minutes for 30 miles. This is done using a 63A 3-phase supply, get a few thousands plugged in at the same time will dwarf the peak demand when kettles are switched on after the Queens speech.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Even on a night charge, multiply that by a few million of these vehicles and the national grid will soon be under strain.
We either build more powerstations or more car sized reactors. The russians have done this in the past and had no trouble with it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
x47c
Grafter

Not just the National grid either.
Just think about your local distribution grid from your local substation to all the individual houses will need upgrading as well