cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I didn't know that!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I didn't know that!

As a life long collector of useless information (is there a name that's printable for that?) I quite often tune into the Sky Discovery channel's "How do they do that" and "How it works" which are usually 10 minute quickies of assorted points of interest, most of which have been repeated many times.
A day or so ago a programme on how glass is made (that I hadn't seen before) was showing. I only had half an eye on it as the subject has been covered many times by other programmes, and anyway the process is quite well known.
Then suddenly the presenter said that; chemically glass is actually a liquid! indeed if it wasn't liquid we wouldn't be able to see through it. Indeed panes of glass left to their own devices over long periods of time creep downwards under their own weight, making them measurably thicker at the bottom than it was when it was installed...
I didn't know that.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
24 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: I didn't know that!

I did (proves I'm another collector of useless information).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Comes with the "bright spark" status jelv.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
itsme
Grafter

Is glass liquid or solid?
It is sometimes said that glass in very old churches is thicker at the bottom than at the top because glass is a liquid, and so over several centuries it has flowed towards the bottom.  This is not true.  In Mediaeval times panes of glass were often made by the Crown glass process.  A lump of molten glass was rolled, blown, expanded, flattened and finally spun into a disc before being cut into panes.  The sheets were thicker towards the edge of the disc and were usually installed with the heavier side at the bottom.  Other techniques of forming glass panes have been used but it is only the relatively recent float glass processes which have produced good quality flat sheets of glass.

There is no clear answer to the question "Is glass solid or liquid?".  In terms of molecular dynamics and thermodynamics it is possible to justify various different views that it is a highly viscous liquid, an amorphous solid, or simply that glass is another state of matter that is neither liquid nor solid.  The difference is semantic.
Community Veteran

Gee thanks itsme!!

Community Veteran

Quote from: itsme
There is no clear answer to the question "Is glass solid or liquid?". 

Uhmm!!

Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
Then suddenly the presenter said that; chemically glass is actually a liquid! indeed if it wasn't liquid we wouldn't be able to see through it. Indeed panes of glass left to their own devices over long periods of time creep downwards under their own weight, making them measurably thicker at the bottom than it was when it was installed...
I didn't know that.

Thanks Petlew I didn't know that either.  Now how can I bring that up in conversation Undecided  
Community Veteran

Don't hang on to that glass of Merlot too long it may change shape in your hand...

Community Veteran

That would be a pane Wink
Community Veteran

Now where will this lead?

Community Veteran

Roll eyes
Community Veteran

I see a glazed look coming over you Be3G.

Community Veteran

Maybe he's shattered Wink
Community Veteran

Or framed...

itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Petlew
Quote from: itsme
There is no clear answer to the question "Is glass solid or liquid?".

Uhmm!!

There is a clear answer. If glass is a liquid what is the freezing point?