cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I didn't know that this information was readily available

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I didn't know that this information was readily available

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/8428877.CSA_know_how_much_is_left_on_my_credit_card/
A POOLE father has told of his shock at discovering that the Child Support Agency could see how much money he had available on his credit card.
Stephen Bailey, 49, pays child support for his son direct from his Sunseeker salary. But, after a recent reassessment, he was told by the agency that he owed arrears of almost £300 and needed to pay straight away – or see his monthly payments increase.
He told the Daily Echo: “I said I couldn’t afford to do that. They said ‘Mr Bailey, you have £617 left on your credit card.’ I said ‘How do you know that?’ “I was flabbergasted.”
<snip>
In respect of their wider powers the CSA said there was no “general power” to look into bank accounts and credit cards, but under certain circumstances, they could impose a deduction order – whereby they can instruct a bank to make a child maintenance payment without the account holder’s permission.
To do this they first use credit reference agency information, which can include details of the balances in any accounts held
2 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: I didn't know that this information was readily available

Whilst not ever having been involved with the CSA the reports one has seen, over the years, regarding their activities are frightening.
One definitely got the impression that they picked on the soft targets like men who were already supporting their children.
N/A

Re: I didn't know that this information was readily available

I reckon you must be 100% correct otherwise young men like the one 'outed' a week or so ago having sired so many children would never have a penny to his name for the next 18 years!