I cannot understand this!

5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: I cannot understand this!

I wonder how many are insurance scams?  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

During my time in passenger search security at Terminal 4 Heathrow, you would be surprised at what people just walked off an left on the X-ray machines. At that time laptops and mobile phones were not as prevalent as they are now, although most business passengers used to carry them, and were much bulkier and heavier than they are now (er! the phones and laptops, not the business passengers!!)  Far more common was for a passenger to quite innocently walk off with the wrong one, not noticing until they settled down on the flight to do some work on the laptop.
Occasionally, the owner of a mis-matched mobile phone would be frantic at the security desk, while we called "his/her" phone in the hopes the wrong'n would answer it and a happy exchange take place, more than once the errant phone would be answered while the aircraft was taxiing out for take-off. More common with laptops though was to find them at arrivals or when the aircraft was cleaned, when the carriers of wrong laptops simply dumped them.
It was as far as we knew, very rare for any item to be stolen after X-ray.
Other items very commonly left behind, curiously seemed to feature forgetful parents of babies, with car-seats, strollers, and packs of milk powder regularly being left behind. But strangest was a racing kayak. A late passenger was being rushed through with all his baggage, which included the kayak, he picked up his cases and hand baggage with the help of the airline rep with him, and sped off leaving the kayak on the floor at the end of the X-ray machine (it was actually hand inspected by three staff) happily, it was noticed that it was missing at the gate, and two KLM staff were seen running carrying the missing boat through the terminal. 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Quote from: petlew
... and two KLM staff were seen running carrying the missing boat through the terminal.   

I would have thought that would bother a few of the passengers that may have saw it being carried to the aircraft? Telling them it belonged to the pilot would have been good. Wink
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

London Underground has hundreds of umbrellas handed in each year and never claimed and the strangest thing they have is numerous pairs of false teeth - the mind boggles Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Many a true word spoken in jest godsell4. It was common for non-operational flight crews to use the same route to their aircraft that passengers used, complete with all their baggage, a small number of times the same Russian flight engineer came through (flying BA to Moscow) with a parachute (he was a sport parachutist in his spare time) but he certainly got a few raised eyebrows at the gate. Like many Russians he had quite a sense of humour, and played along with the situation. I've not heard of anybody actually refusing to fly on his flight though.
PS. under normal circumstances, parachutes are not allowed in the aircraft cabin but, travel in the aircraft hold, the one the Russian was carrying would have been taken off him at the departure gate, he would expect that.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.