cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can’t survive on £500 a week benefits!

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I can’t survive on £500 a week benefits!

Hi All
Just seen this:
[quote="Daily Mail"]
‘I can’t survive on £500 a week benefits!’: Single mother-of-eight says her children may end up on the streets after she had her benefits capped

• Marie Buchan, 31, lives with her children aged from two months to 12 years

• She claimed £582 a week in state handouts til the cap in September

• Now the single mother from Selly Oak, Birmingham, says she is struggling

• She also wants to be moved to a large house - but is £2,000 behind in rent

• Miss Buchan, who owes £600 in bus lane fines, says: 'I don't waste money'

A single mother with eight children who receives £2,000 a month in state handouts has complained she is struggling to make ends meet.
Marie Buchan, 31, whose children range in age from 12 to two months, lives in a three-bedroom housing association house in Selly Oak, Birmingham, but says it's not big enough and has applied for a bigger one.
And she says her benefits payments, which were reduced from £582 a week to £500 a week in September after the government introduced a cap on handouts, are not enough for her family to survive on.

Read More Here

By bold, I am stunned.  Shocked
26 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: I can’t survive on £500 a week benefits!

Perhaps the father(s) of those children should contribute to the costs of housing and bringing up the children.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
nanotm
Pro

I love stories like that, the 582 a week (now 500) relates purely to housing/counciltax and jobseekers or income support, it doesn't count any maintenance payments,
<snip>
if she cant cope offer to put the kids in care and see how fast they stop buying designer gear like the couple of grand leather sofa there sat on, at least for once the paper's have covered up the majority of outrageous wealth (probably funded through chavalog accounts) these people invariably have (like the 52 inch flat screen) and £1-500 outfits there normally snapped in by having them all wear school cloths and the mother in nightwear.......
jim:red unacceptable descriptive language removed mod:end
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Well it wasn't in my Daily Mail this morning.
So either I had an edition earlier than MC's 03:35 post or the article was pulled for something more important Grin
However it was being discussed on LBC radio on my way home from work.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
nadger
Rising Star

One thing, for certain, is that she won't be charged the bedroom tax  Wink
Father of the children would like to help but he's just had his benefits cut  Huh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

------------Censored------------
Nuff said. When I was working I wasn't taking home £500 a week! And that was a good job!
Community Veteran

Cases like this show how important it is to reform our welfare system. Good luck to IDS.
I notice that despite pleading poverty she has a car Roll eyes
@Petlew, I think MC found this in the online version of the Mail.
nanotm
Pro

aye and she hasn't paid either her rent or her driving fines, if she's so hard up that she cant pay standard things like that is she bothering to pay insurance or road fund licence on her vehicle ?
people like her give struggeling claiments a bad name, I do love that she will be getting at least £99/week on top of the cap (child benefit) yet doesn't mention that anywhere and if she registered her latest brat in time before the cap kicked in another 13 quid on top.... disgusting that such people think there entitled to cry about how hard life is when there a huge part of the problem with the nation and its overdependence at large on welfare
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Being very careful how I put this; the article says "single mother" it doesn't though mention multiple fathers so maybe there is only one. If not, it seems the lady has a certain predilection for partners.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

How does she expect to own and run a car while living on taxpayer's handouts with 8 kids!
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

@Petlew, according to the article all her children have the same father. I heard on the radio that he is unable to contribute to the family as he is on benefits Roll eyes
She has asked for a bigger house but the housing association said they do not consider a move for people with rent arrears.
gnicholson8
Grafter

Well to be honest, looking at the photo of her and the children on that alone I would say there is a good case there is only one (maybe two fathers) all of the children share very similar traits. (however that isn't certain)
But yes, she needs to close her god damn legs. I mean I don't get that much a week and I have a good-ish paying job so yes, I get a small amount of child tax credit and working tax credit but that's what it is designed for. she must just choose NOT to work :/

Also, if she isn't earning and her rent is being paid for by Housing benefit or Local Housing Allowance, WHY is she in arrears, they should be sending that straight to the housing association she is with. They should start garnishing her benefits to pay for the fines/arrears.
nanotm
Pro

i'll be totally honest, it doesn't matter if its one or eight fathers
she has recklessly procreated with an individual and is unable to provide for there progeny and is now complaining that the state wont sort it out for them (no doubt he doesn't live there because they receive a greater amount of cash as individuals, of course if they were clever they would split the kids so they had 4 each and would each get 500 a week + other benefits, its sheer stupidity and arrogance that creates stories like this which are designed to engender support for the individuals and cause outrage at the "system" which is acting so harshly against them
sure I had multiple kids and a job and supported them, then I got injured and now have help to support them but I wouldn't dream of crying about how hard it is for me to have them live with me and be feeling the pinch (although I certainly was cash strapped for the first year whilst awaiting certain things to catch up)
these no excuse for crass stupidity which the woman in the story clearly shows, she should be ashamed of herself and far from crying for bigger handouts should be sorting out a way to provide for her kids herself (of getting the other half of creating them to do it) !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

+ free school meals + free prescriptions + free milk vouchers.....
Subsidised rent.
It still doesn't stop at £500 per week.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
2u2me
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: nadger
One thing, for certain, is that she won't be charged the bedroom tax  Wink
Father of the children would like to help but he's just had his benefits cut  Huh

Don`t think that`s the only thing that should be cut !!