Did you mean: 

I can't believe it's not better !

Infinity
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

I can't believe it's not better !

LEGO of course....

60 years old today.

The first ever bricks to be made in the 1950s will still snap perfectly into the newest ones made today.

Before their official patenting in 1958, the bricks were named Automatic Binding Bricks, until the name Lego was conceived from the Danish words ‘Leg Godt’, meaning ‘play well’.

We used to have loads & loads of large plastic boxes full of the Bricks, never ending joy for the Children.

(And adults too)

A couple of good interesting documentaries on TV last year.

But there is a downside..

Have you ever stood on a Lego brick without shoes or slippers on ?

OUCH !

Only thing worse, is standing on an upturned UK Mains plug.

For many years now, we always make sure any loose mains cables plugs are placed pins down.

14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: I can't believe it's not better !

I was surprised to read that the really old lego had some nasty stuff (by today's standards) in it. Not recommended for kids to mouth.

But then again most old stuff, plastics, paint etc had something horrible in it like heavy metal or cancer causing chemicals.

How did we survive childhood.Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Used to have some Lego when I was a kid, but now I am older (don't know if wiser also applies there), my Niece at 4 I'd imagine will be too young.

Plus I would be so paranoid about her swallowing some which I am sure we can understand will not have a good outcome.

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

Duplo......

Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

Showing my age - I actually had some rubber ones which I think were red or white and didn't click together at all well

Fixes: 196

I really don't like the LEGO of today as it seems creativity has been lost.

In my childhood (60's) we just had basic shapes like rectangles, squares, wheels and limited colours (green, red, white, grey, blue) and none of this 'ready-to-assemble' stuff they have these days. We used our imagination and creativity; I made a Thunderbird 2 with pod that would drop out, a thunderbird 3 and a thunderbird 4. I also found an old small motor and made a go-kart that worked.

Personally, like a lot of other things these days, I feel they have been dumbed down.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Ah @Mav what you just said just reminded me.

Wasn't there lego that had motors - wasn't it called something like Technic Lego?

I was never good as a kid, I just built random stuff which had no reselebance to any physical object in real life. Grin

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Mav wrote:

I really don't like the LEGO of today as it seems creativity has been lost.

As a kid one of the things I used to enjoy doing with Lego, besides making the tallest structure, was to use a little electric motor and plasticine to make the biggest (slow) spinning structure. Well before the days of motorised Lego.

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

LEGO LIFE MAGAZINE:

LEGO LIFE MAGAZINE.jpg

Download it here...

(Free)

https://www.lego.com/en-gb/life/magazine

Plus ++++ Loads of other Legotastic stuff.... 

Fixes: 102

This guy is a bit of a Lego fan.

Customer and Forum Moderator.

Jonpe
Aspiring Champion

If you saw the TV documentary about the opening of the Lego store in Leicester Square you'll remember this nifty little 'machine': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih1DU_c-0ZY

Community Veteran

Ah ok this is sort of on topic, (so mods don't tell me off) does anyone remember stickle bricks?

I used to have them. Sorry that memory just popped into my head.

@Jonpe I didn't work far from Leicester Square at one point, do they still have an M&M's world there? Sure they do. Seen it only on the outside, but how you have a whole place dedicted to M&M's I wonder? (For anyone who doesn't know it's chocolate).

I think it's a fairly safe assumption you can buy Lego from the Lego store, and M&M's from M&M's world. Tongue

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

Want to pass away some time this dark, dismal overcast afternoon?

Just Google Lego Youtube.... hours of fun

I quite like this one.. Lego Shark Attack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FVqK55glX8

Community Veteran

Alex wrote:

Ah ok this is sort of on topic, (so mods don't tell me off) does anyone remember stickle bricks?

I remember them, used to have some when I was younger too, probably full of cadmium, uranium and plutonium which apparently is in everything before the 90s if the nuts are to be believed... Funny

Jonpe
Aspiring Champion

@Alex  Yes, I believe M&M's World is still there; I often see people about town carrying M&M's carrier bags.  Although I've never been there I'm told they don't stock as many varieties as the US ones, and they also sell things like M&M's bath towels (no they are not made of chocolate, and - before you ask - they don't sell chocolate teapots; enough of those in London already).  I did see an empty M&M's bag on the train recently and it claimed to have contained Hazelnut M&M's which I'd like to try.

@twocvbloke "... cadmium, uranium and plutonium which apparently is in everything before the 90s if the nuts are to be believed..."  And now nuts are in everything if the information on the packaging is to be believed!