cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can sleep through...

Fixes: 121

I can sleep through...

...a party next door, the TV being on, wind, rain, storms, the hum of the fridge or PC yet a dripping tap will keep me awake.
Even dripping water from a pipe just outside kept me awake for hours last night Angry
What else can you sleep through or keeps you awake?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

25 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: I can sleep through...

I'm a fairly light sleeper so it doesn't take much to wake me like a late night party or heavy wind/rain.
I like it dark and quiet and have configured my mobile not to make any sounds between 11pm and 8am.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

The sound of F1 positively sends me to sleep. What wakes me up, it turns out, is the sound of a bird stuck down the chimney. A previous owner of our house had had the upstairs fireplaces bricked up. About 10 years after we moved here, well, we hadn't heard the starling fall down, and it must have slept through the dark, but at the first light of dawn, flutter, flutter, flutter, at intervals. Breakfast time found me apologising to next-door for the din I was about to make and then taking a sledge-hammer to the bedroom fireplace. Was it grateful? Was it, heck - sharp beaks, starlings.
Gabe

Quote from: Strat
I like it dark and quiet and have configured my mobile not to make any sounds between 11pm and 8am.
Just like SWMBO. Total darkness and quiet.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Fixes: 47

Having said that I did a 6 month period of welding doing 12 hour nights, getting home at 7:30.
I would have a quick bath (wife insisted as I was filthy) and straight to bed.
I was quickly asleep despite the noises of the day outside.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
shalom2010
Grafter

Snoring!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Mav you're not alone matey.
I can and have fallen asleep in a nightcub right next to booming speakers (leaving an unused sofa there when I'm shattered is lethal lol). I can pretty much sleep through anything. SWMBO however is a different story. She'd hear a bl**dy mouse sneeze and be woken by it and then I get the huffing and sighing etc  Cry
Currently in the bathroom we have the bath mixer tap dripping and both sink taps. Needless to say I don't hear the end about them from one day to the next.
Few years back I was doing 12 hour shifts doing night work. I'd get home and hit the sack and the only thing that would wake me was the mega headache I'd sometimes have from staying awake through the night (at about 3pm lol). Other than that you'd not wake me with a foghorn.
What I do have trouble with though is actually getting off to sleep. Typically when I go to bed I start thinking.. about all sorts. Troubles, wants, problems etc. Weirdly though leave me on the sofa with the TV on and I'm gone in a jiffy  Roll eyes
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!

Quote from: 7up
I can and have fallen asleep in a nightcub

That happened to me once at the Empire, Leicester Square back in the early '80s after a particularly hard day at work and few late nights beforehand.
As a child I always found it hard to initially get to sleep but once there slept well but never needed much sleep. These days I need much more.
I remember when my ex-wife was close to giving birth to our daughter in '95 I had spent the previous few days decorating various rooms. That night her water broke and I was in such a deep sleep that, apparently, my step-daughters had been trying to wake me for around 20 minutes.

Quote from: 7up
What I do have trouble with though is actually getting off to sleep. Typically when I go to bed I start thinking.. about all sorts. Troubles, wants, problems etc. Weirdly though leave me on the sofa with the TV on and I'm gone in a jiffy  Roll Eyes

Hey, I'm just the same.

RichAllen
Grafter

I can sleep through anything, once I take my hearing aid out at night and my head hits the pillow that's it till whatever time I set the alarm for next morning and even then I turn the thing off and go back to sleep sometimes.
Community Veteran

Lol I'm terrible for using sleep mode on the alarm.. I tend not to bother now I just use sleep mode on the brain instead  Cheesy

I was reading somewhere, can't think where now but most likely the Daily Mail, that there's an app that senses your movements and works out when you are deep (REM) sleep or not and will wake you when you are not. Apparently waking from deep sleep makes you feel like you haven't had as much as you should have had.
Here's a link I found.

Community Veteran

Dunno about that Mav but if I get woken from a deep sleep it usually has one of two effects: I end up feeling severely confused or I feel very dizzy. The latter is luckily very rare but it's terrifying when it does happen as the room won't stop spinning. Moons ago the doc put it down to an ear infection and gave me some pills for it. Luckily I've not had it since then but it was really scary. When I saw the doc I even showed him how to trigger it (leaning my head in one direction) and within half a second my enes were rapidly moving right -> left (which explained the room spinning). I was also severely stressed at that point in my life too.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

if I can feel something moving when lying down I struggle to drift off but once I'm asleep noises/movement don't wake me up, on the other hand I can fall asleep sitting or standing pretty much anywhere, what makes it really odd is if I'm not somewhere I consider safe I never get past the dozing stage and then I can wake up to any slight noise....
OTOH her indoors can be woken by a creak or a rustle (unfortunate as our floorboards creak) or any sort of noise and yet we staying in a hotel (where I couldn't sleep) and she went out like a light snoring in moments and stayed that way .......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

I'm an insomniac so don't have any of your problems.  I envy people who get a good night's sleep every night.
RichAllen
Grafter

I've only ever been hit by insomnia once, one night last year I'd got stuff on my mind and couldn't sleep, so about 2 AM I got up, got dressed and went to the local 24 hour Tesco.
First and only time I've been in Tesco at silly o'clock.