Fixes: 1

I can live with

being from a small island that no-one pays any attention to
Just wish some of the politicians could Wink
23 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: I can live with

Yeah, me too.... Iceland, Greenland, Isle of Man, all seem to manage to survive in this world without the aggro that we have to go through to be a "power" ....
Community Veteran

I don't think it could have been put better than David Cameron did yesterday.
Great Britain
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Given that the majority of the things he referred to were prior to 1945 that makes the point very clearly - we are a country which was once great with an empire and is now a relatively minor operator on the world stage where we still get self opinionated politicians talking about "punching above our weight" which could equally be described as having grandiose ideas above our ability to support
Don't get me going on the so called "special relationship" which only works one way. When we wanted support - Falklands for example - what did the US do
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The thing is the UK has lost its way. It's become so self obsessed with tax collection, riches, and poor bashing that it doesn't concentrate on the bigger picture anymore.
We gave the world many things decades and centuries ago but now we're a nothing. The cost of living and operating in this country is just too high for innovators to bother anymore.
Unfortunately the UK is no longer inspirational like it was when I was a kid.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
peter10
Grafter

Oldjim sums it up perfectly for me. What practical help did we get from USA during The Falklands? I guess if they had belonged to the USA we would have been pressurised into going in with them. We can not afford to get involved in Syria and I often wonder if politicians think their actions through. We went into Iraq and Afghanistan  but don't seem to be able to find a lasting solution and have lost many brave and fine young men in the process.
The happenings in Syria are appalling and as always it's the innocent who suffer but there must be another way to bring those responsible to account although with countries so divided I don't know how.
Community Veteran

Every point made in the previous posts is True so why is it that the Government can't see it ? Is it down to the fact that most politicians consider their positions first and are unwilling to challenge the government ?
We were lucky to keep out of Vietnam and also lucky (so far) to keep out of Syria but it's early days.
Community Veteran

What these politicians lose sight of if the Syrians could quite legally declare war on the UK/USA  if we make a strike against their country. An anonymous freighter moored off the UK coast with some scud missiles could do enormous damage to the Financial centre of London. It might be a conventional war head or something much worse.
Of course the main reason there wasn't a UK strike on Syria were the lies told by Tony Blair when he was in power. Few people trust the executive of the UK Government to tell the truth when comes to playing soldiers.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Thunderclap
Grafter

This little Island of ours is looked to by many nations for its moral leadership. And despite it's significant flaws, our fair democratic institution is aspirational for many peoples.
With Syriana, there is nothing we can do but ensure that all evidence is vested with the International Criminal Court - Even if America refuses to recognise the ICC - ergo - if Assad is indicted by the ICC on Crimes Against Humanity and Genocide, he could claim asylum in the USA.
As for the USA snubbing Britain? Let us remind Obama how many Billions of US dollars are held by US citizens and US Corporations outside of the Federal tax system, in offshore bank accounts, in British protectorates. Yes, the UK tax payer helps pay to protect these mini island states, even though actually we've no gunboats left to defend them.
Community Veteran

I am happy to live in a small island, as opposed to Russia, which of course, is a complete shit hole
Community Veteran

I also am pleased to live here despite all the so called problems.  Where else would people suggest as better Undecided
Community Veteran

Trouble is that for all it's sins, this is one of the few decent countries in the world to live in. The others being Canada, Australia and the good old USA.
Community Veteran

Yes, but try getting into any of them - you wouldn't Wink
Community Veteran

Well that depends. We've already hatched a plan for that but neither of us are 100% sure we want to commit to the move yet. It's doable though..
The thing is though, as much as I hate all the crap thats going on here in the UK it's still my homeland and I still hold on to a feint glimmer of hope that it could all be turned around. I really don't like the thought of abandoning the sinking ship but with better living conditions, weather, government policies etc, who wouldn't consider moving?
Community Veteran

Quote from: Sprite
The others being Canada, Australia and the good old USA.

I'd add Norway, Iceland, Singapore, New Zealand and possibly Japan. It's nice to visit the US, but not sure I would want to live there?
If push came to shove I'd have a hard choice between Norway and Australia.