Re: I am surprised

.this forum is essentially the pubic face  

I assume this is a typo or do you know something we don't?  Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Quote from: chenks76
Quote from: 7up
I would suspect thats a decision that has already been discussed and agreed with PN some time ago and has been left with the mods to make the final decision if it becomes that bad. I don't think the mods are daft enough to not see this coming quite a while back.

i would very much doubt that plusnet, as a business, would give moderators (who aren't plusnet employs) the power to decide what sections can and can't exist in a plusnet owned forum.

Actually they do - and dvoraks threat is not an empty one. I can't remember which Chris it was (plusnet have two on this forum) but I seem to recall one of them a while back made it quite clear that he would back the moderators in removing Chit Chat if the hassle did not stop.
in fact, i'm surprised that plusnet even allow non-employees to have any power in their forums at all.
this forum is essentially the pubic face of support and discussion for plusnet, and to allow that to be moderated in any way by someone who doesn't work for the company is crazy.
similar forums, such as the sky forum, have moderators that are sky employed.

But that is the point - plusnet don't want to wind up their customers by moderating their posts and being accused of bullying or scaring customers away etc. Thats why they let an independant gang of their customers run the forum for them. That way they cannot be accused of any form of discrimination. Besides if plusnet really wanted to they could probably remove the mods anytime they wanted anyway - the forum is hosted on their servers afterall and you only need to log into the database so in reality they are still in complete control of the forum anyway.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 144

...and to allow that to be moderated in any way by someone who doesn't work for the company is crazy.

Maybe it's an attempt to have impartiality in the forum moderating....

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 62.0.3 (64-bit)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

That's the thing, a company forum is not supposed to me impartial.
It's a part of the companies marketing.
Having non company staff essentially managing it can be dangerous.
Also, it allows for cliques to form.
Customers should have no role in managing any part of a companies support system.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Company run forums are dead places where customers only go if they are interested in how wonderful the company is.
Where they can be assured that the answer to their question is not only right it's the only answer they are getting even if it is the wrong one.
And any dissent over this results in a life ban.

Yes I've been to plenty of forums like that.
Luckily Plusnet decided in favour of a more customer friendly approach.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Hardly seems fair that the majority should suffer for the minority, I suspect it would not be difficult to identify those who frequently make posts that are inappropriate, by inappropriate I mean the need for moderators to remove those posts.
Do moderators not have the authority to prevent those who continue to post  such material by banning them access to the site.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I would imagine that the moderators are favouring the "try to educate them" approach instead of the "big stick" one.
But the "big stick" must be starting to look like a good option.
Fixes: 144

Quote from: gleneagles
Do moderators not have the authority to prevent those who continue to post  such material by banning them access to the site.

Yes we do.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 62.0.3 (64-bit)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

That's the thing, a company forum is not supposed to me impartial.

Says who? It's a free world and there are no laws saying what you say.
Where business is concerned it is every man for himself. If that's the way plusnet choose to run their ship that is down to them.
Just because the government try to show they are impartial does not mean the private sector cannot.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
It's a free world and there are no laws saying what you say.

i think you'll find that is totally inaccurate.
it's not a free world, and there are laws governing anything.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
Yes we do.

who was the last person to be banned?
and what offence did they commit to result in that ban?
Fixes: 257

that remains between the moderators, PN and the person involved.

Customer / Moderator / If it helped click the thumb / If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'

Community Veteran

i think you'll find that is totally inaccurate.
it's not a free world, and there are laws governing anything.

A bit of mixed up thinking there I think Undecided
You say who shouldn't moderate a forum but you don't seem to make it clear who should. Who would you have moderate our forums?
Community Veteran

i've already stated that it should be plusnet staff that moderate the plusnet forum.
it's a customer facing support tool (albeit not a very good one), so to have anyone other than staff manage it is foolhardy IMO.
plusnet obviously don't agree though.
essentially what you have at the moment is customers (i would hope that all the non plusnet staff moderators are still customers) making decisions that can adversely affect the plusnet brand (not always intentionally). and you also have the possibility of cliques forming, and i know it's been denied, but in my opinion there certainly are some pretty obvious cliques here.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62