cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am surprised

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I am surprised

I haven`t heard anything on the BBC news about it....  maybe they were too busy filling news time with the problems in France...

http://forces.tv/57613221
Don`t let me see any negative comments from anyone about the men and women who serve in our armed forces,... be it at home, or abroad, ... Especially coming up to Christmas time, when many will be away from there family and loved ones.  
http://www.oldsaltblog.com/2010/12/the-last-voyage-of-the-lakonia-deadly-christmas-cruise/
This brings back some very old memories of when I was in the Navy... and ... to quote someone else.... "it`s what we do"...
I was in the Wireless Office, on H.M.S. CENTAUR,  when the SOS was sent... and helped to co-ordinate the rescue ships.    This is a quote from the last linky, from another crew member... in the comments below the main "oldsaltblog" story...  

Derrick Reid says:
August 9, 2013 at 7:00 pm
I was on board HMS Centaur. We had just left Portsmouth for our deployment to the Far East when the engine speed picked up and we went to join the rescue. When we arrived at the scene the Laconia was still on fire and sadly we were tasked with collecting and preparing the bodies recovered for delivery to Gibraltar on Christmas Day. Our crew responsible for preparing the bodies were issued with an extra rum ration to help them in the task.
For our humanitarian assistance, the Centaur, having missed the transit convoy through the Suez was allowed to transit on her own

and another crem member writes

David Philip Hollman says:
November 18, 2013 at 12:19 am
I was the Chief Engine Room Artificer of the arresting gear crew on board HMS Centaur and was working on the flight deck as the dead were collected by our helicopters and sea boats. I can assuire relatives and survivors that every care was taken, as far as the circumstances allowed and the dead were treated with respect. All were medically examined, photographed and dental notes were made to assist later identification. We had no body bags: all were sewn in blankets and stored in a cooled aviation weapons magazine. They were landed in Gibraltar on Christmas Day and I believe most were buried there. The effect on Centaur’s ships company seeing the dead men, women and children, was quite devastating. We had left our own wives and children a week before Christmas to get to our duty station, East of Suez, to allow HMS Ark Royal (I think) to get home for their families. Although I left the Royal Navy in 1972 and have lived 41 years in New Zealand that episode left me with lasting, not very pleasant memories. My best wishes to those attending the 50th anniversary memorial ceremonies in Gibraltar later in December.

Christmas day has never been a happy time since then... always brings back the memories.....
adieShockedrange removed text that was causing issue]
33 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: I am surprised

Quote from: shutter
That Pluscom failed to put this story in front of us...  

Now now... lets keep it pleasant... no need for sniping...
Quote from: shutter
Don`t let me see any negative comments from anyone about the men and women who serve in our armed forces

I've never been overly keen on their camouflage colours if i'm honest... why can't they wear Red White and Blye just like the British Rail colours?  Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Shutter, an interesting thread. Thanks for posting.
I have the highest respect for you and all the men and women in our armed forces. You deserve our highest level of gratitude for what you've done.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I echo that Artmo.
It must be very useful to have a network of media types etc....  Nothing like knowing how to make friends and influence people!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Deleted as the subsequent post and Moderator Action made it irrelevant
However I would point out that just because somebody makes a post which another poster thinks is baiting/trolling/personal attack then the correct action is to report it to the moderators and not to respond thereby fanning the flames
Fixes: 104

mod:note
I'm getting fed up of baby sitting duties. the lot of you grow up or chit chat will end up in the bin, which I'm sure none of you want.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Discretion is always the better part of valour. Or so they say!
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
However I would point out that just because somebody makes a post which another poster thinks is baiting/trolling/personal attack then the correct action is to report it to the moderators and not to respond thereby fanning the flames

Personally I feel that the moment a post is reported, it should be temporarily disabled from displaying to other users until a moderator can review the report and decide what to do. That would then stop anyone feeling that they are being publicly targetted and humiliated.
Community Veteran

I don't think that would work. What if you have someone who always uses the mod button?
Fixes: 104

And what if it's just for an all caps title? That needs sorting but doesn't need to be hidden whilst it's rectified.
Mind you at least there wouldn't be any visible posts in chit chat, which might not be such a bad thing Roll eyes
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

This thread should have been locked, when I suggested it, as it was deviating far too much from the original post subject matter.  ( even for chit chat ).
Community Veteran

I agree with you Shutter.
A question for dvorak. In post #5 you state, 'chit chat will end up in the bin'. Is this a decision that the mods can take or is it a PN decision?
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
I don't think that would work. What if you have someone who always uses the mod button?

So a report counter would need to be implemented so they could only queue say two or three posts at a time until the mods have dealt with it.
Must I think of everything?  Wink
Quote from: dvorak
And what if it's just for an all caps title? That needs sorting but doesn't need to be hidden whilst it's rectified.

So you have a drop down menu of why the post is being reported - insults, harassment, bad punctuation etc and then the forum can hide or not hide depending on the severity of the report. Users should also see a warning message that abuse of the reporting system could result in a temporary ban on themselves.
You can't deny something needs to be done about this dvorak, it's getting out of hand around here.
Quote from: artmo
A question for dvorak. In post #5 you state, 'chit chat will end up in the bin'. Is this a decision that the mods can take or is it a PN decision?

I would suspect thats a decision that has already been discussed and agreed with PN some time ago and has been left with the mods to make the final decision if it becomes that bad. I don't think the mods are daft enough to not see this coming quite a while back.
Community Veteran

I have to say if OJ had still been moderating this thread would have been locked much sooner and warnings issued to the poster responsible for the trouble.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Quote from: 7up
I would suspect thats a decision that has already been discussed and agreed with PN some time ago and has been left with the mods to make the final decision if it becomes that bad. I don't think the mods are daft enough to not see this coming quite a while back.

i would very much doubt that plusnet, as a business, would give moderators (who aren't plusnet employs) the power to decide what sections can and can't exist in a plusnet owned forum.
in fact, i'm surprised that plusnet even allow non-employees to have any power in their forums at all.
this forum is essentially the pubic face of support and discussion for plusnet, and to allow that to be moderated in any way by someone who doesn't work for the company is crazy.
similar forums, such as the sky forum, have moderators that are sky employed.