cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am surprised this hasn't been posted

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I am surprised this hasn't been posted

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8404734/Britains-best-and-worst-roundabouts-sought.html
Britain's best (and worst) roundabouts sought
Do you drive around them without a care in the world, or curse each time they come into view? Now's your chance to sound off about roundabouts, good or bad.
http://www.centralcontracts.com/news/what-are-the-uks-best-and-worst-roundabouts-vote-for-your-roundabout-idol-4462
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: I am surprised this hasn't been posted

How about Swindon
Community Veteran

Its great is the Magic Roundabout, you can go the wrong way, that is anti-clockwise, around the large center cricle.Wink
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Or the Hemel Hempstead also known locally as the Magic Roundabout.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Hope you don't mind Jim but, does the UK have the greatest number of roundabouts?

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you dont see many on continental Europe
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

and very few indeed in the USA
Community Veteran

Can only remember seeing one in Tauranga New Zealand but, there may be more in Auckland (where I have spent very little time)

Fixes: 47

Certainly extremely rare in Vancouver and a good friend who lives over there tells me the thing he dreads most about driving over here, when he visits are the roundabouts.
Brook Hill roundabout in Sheffield, a junction of the busy A61 and A57 can be a nightmare at most times but the worst part about it in my opinion are the pedestrian crossings at each exit causing traffic to back up onto the roundabout...not a great idea.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

A book of UK roundabouts here  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roundabouts-Great-Britain-Kevin-Beresford/dp/1843308541/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&q...
But it is £143. Which is a bit excessive for a coffee table book...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I think there was a recent "Road safety" report on different types of road junction, and the roundabout was the safest to negotiate, because of the "angle of approach" enabled the driver to judge speed an distance much better than cross roads or joining from a side road to a main road.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

we all seem to have bad memories
Modern roundabouts are particularly common in Australia, People's Republic of China, Malaysia, Iceland, Denmark, Germany, France, Hungary, Ireland, Morocco, New Zealand, Qatar, Spain, the United Arab Emirates and the United Kingdom. Half of the world's roundabouts are in France (over 30,000 as of 200Cool.[5] The first modern roundabout in the United States was constructed in Summerlin, Nevada in 1990,[and roundabouts have since become increasingly common in North America.

from  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundabout
johpal
Grafter

@strat Do you remember the experiment with Brook Hill roundabout in the 70s? Like the one in Swindon, it had mini-roundabouts at each junction and a large roundabout in the centre. You could travel round the 'outer ring' clockwise and the 'inner ring' counter-clockwise. I don't think it lasted more than a couple of weeks, if that.
Community Veteran

Jim's right, there are very few in the US.  You do see some on private estates but I know of only one on public roads.
pierre_pierre
Grafter