cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am annoyed about Pension

jmd
Grafter

I am annoyed about Pension

Last week there was all this on papers/BBC about  public service pensioners being overpaid.  But assumed that since heard nothing [I am civil service pensioner and no it is not a lot!] it meant like local authority/NHS.
I get a letter today telling me that I have been overpaid because someone years ago could work out what difference the Guaranteed Minimum Pension cost of living increases paid by goverment made to your occupational pension or words to that effect.  They are not asking for money back [good job!] but it will affect any increase made next April.  It will take at least to end of January befoe they know what pension will be in April. Angry
It would have been nice of them to send these letters out before announcing it to the Press! Angry
but perhaps that is too much to ask and I should know better!!
6 REPLIES
Fixes: 104

Re: I am annoyed about Pension

As someone who has suffered at the hands of the child tax credit debacle you do have my symphathies.
Just another screw up and, yes, you should know better by now!  Roll eyes
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Never trust the government to handle our money or affairs properly.
I also used to be a civil servant years ago and when I had my pension forcast I was shocked at how awful my pension would be. It was something pathetic like £400 per year. After working for the government for over 40 years and doing their dirty work you'd expect a bit more than that.
Thats why I haven't joined the pension where I work now. I'm not going to pay something dumb like £100 per month for years on end just to be given back £10 per month. Stuff it!
Another thing... Why do they want your money in the first place if they're just going to give it back to you? - Because THEY WANT the money. You will never get anything near what you paid into it back. You're better off stashing £20 away per week.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Im all right jack got 75% of final years gross Smiley Smiley Smiley
N/A

This is bad news, particularly just before Christmas. However, from my brief glance at the news it won't be too bad as they are not expecting to be paid back. Also, the overpayments are said to be in the region of about £200 pa so if this is deducted from the next increase it shouldn't be too noticeable. It seems only to apply to those who have the state pension as well as the superanuation one.
Of course, I might have got the wrong end of the stick entirely. Will just have to wait and see.
Not to minimise the problem, and I know that it's no consolation to jmdlp and others but I suppose that there are many worse off, for instance those that have recently lost their jobs and have families to support. It gets more depressing by the day!
Fixes: 47

As someone who continued to be taxed on bereavement benefit 12 months after the benefit stopped because one government department failed to tell another government department, you have my sympathies also. It's such a pity we feel the need to keep an eye on these people whom we pay very good salaries to work for us.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Heloman
Grafter

I have a very reasonable pension after many years in the Navy.
Some years after I left, the small business I ran went bankrupt.
The pensions people said the law required them to pay my pension to the insolvency firm. As I was over sixty, no chance of another job.
Applied to DHS for benefits, as we had no other income. "Not entitled" said DHS. The law says you cannot have benefits if you have sufficient pension income.!
Had to live on charity for months until my MP managed to knock their heads together........