cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I actually have lightening fast internet...

Fixes: 125

I actually have lightening fast internet...

Ok, so at current sync of 5782 (but it won't stay there long as the line is unstable) it's not really that fast but after a week at my mum's where it was 0.3M (but 0.8 up) it has made me realise how much worse it could be Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: I actually have lightening fast internet...

I remember scraping 512K for a business I was an IT Manager at - that was shared between 20 people / web server / email.
Prior to that we used a dial on demand system (33.6k) and the phone bills were astronomical !

Aha, but this is in 2014!
Admittedly it was probably down to a fault as the SNR was 12 and Att 41 and I know the line is capable of at least 4M but I no longer have the authority to contact the supplier as my brother took over the line and he was away.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

My mother in law used to turn the modem off every time she's finished on the internet then turn it back on when she wanted to use it again. She also had it in a back bedroom on an extension as she didn't want it in the living room near the master socket.
The DLM was going bonkers and while she will leave it on all day now, I still suspect she turns it off at night. A shame really as she could squeeze 18Mb+ from her line but scrapes 2Mb because of where the modem is and the power cycling.

As soon as we leave after any length of stay the router is turned off (not sure who by) and is not turned on again till SWMBO or myself turn it on next time.
Does leaving the modem off for extended periods cause such an issue?
When we stayed at mum's in May we had the same problem but I was able to coerce Sky to reset the SNR and, after around 3 or 4 days, the sync rose to 4M. I wasn't able to do that this time Sad

Community Veteran

I wonder if it needs to be on for a period of time for the DLM to work properly. Maybe a few hours at a time isn't enough for the line to retrain.
Just a guess but certainly worth looking into.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Mav
after a week at my mum's where it was 0.3M (but 0.8 up) it has made me realise how much worse it could be Wink

Thats why I think 3G dongles are great - not only for when you're away but also because compared to dialup etc, they really are lighteningly fast! Mine only does 3Mb max but even that is fast compared to some connections and when you think that you can still browse and download at the same time without any real hassle (unlike dialup) it really is a miracle!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!

Quote from: DomS
I wonder if it needs to be on for a period of time for the DLM to work properly. Maybe a few hours at a time isn't enough for the line to retrain.

It was on for a week without any change. I did reboot twice within the first couple of days then gave up on that.
When just browsing it was just about manageable as long as I only opened one page at a time. Anything else then I tethered to my smartphone keeping a close eye on my data allowance. Currently have 4M out of 5GB!
Glad to be home Wink

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

that's why I like 3 tariffs, unlimited data allowance is perfect for those times when not at home Smiley
even better is they were actually cheaper than any other provider when I took out the contract for comparable minutes/text allowances and other providers were offering between 150mb and 2gb which seemed paltry by comparison
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you