cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Myth Plathtic Bagth

geewizz
Grafter

I Myth Plathtic Bagth

Yesterday I went to the shops and I bought an apple, a banana, a cauliflower and a diet coke. When I went to the end of the checkout there were no plastic carrier bags. I asked the woman on the till for a bag and she told me that they don't do them any more.
I asked why not and she replied that it was for "ecological reasons".
Apparently I have to write to their headquarters in Aberdeen for a full explanation. This is going to be fun. I can't wait to read how they spin out the mythical ecological reasoning for scrapping lightweight polyethene bags.
I wonder if they will quote some statistics about turtles in the Indian ocean or some undermined comparisons of single use bags and re-useable cotton ones.
5 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: I Myth Plathtic Bagth

It has been suggested that we adopt the American idea of paper bags.
There are vast areas of forest on the continental Americas, slightly more than the UK Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

It looks good but is almost totally ineffective.
I'm going to have to buy rubbish bags soon; until now we've been using the supermarket bags as bin liners.  Cool
Fixes: 47

Me too...effective recycling I thought Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 105

Quote from: HPsauce
I'm going to have to buy rubbish bags soon; until now we've been using the supermarket bags as bin liners.  Cool

We're in the same boat.
At least if you are going to the supermarket then you know there is a good chance you are going to buy and can take some bags.
One national retailer is using a store near us to trial charging 5p per bag. So that could put you off an impulse purchase.
Sadly they are also my employer  Angry
Will Moderate For Thanks
geewizz
Grafter

Does anyone remember packing their purchases into paper bags at Safeways? They were like Hoover bags and very handy for packing into the boot of a car ... as long as it wasn't raining.
I've just returned from a trip to buy a carton of milk at a different supermarket. This time I had to extract the purchase from a bag and hand the plastic carrier back to the staff member. The milk was perfectly well contained in  the carton which also had a carrying handle. From sublime to ridiculous in 200 yards.