cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Love Double Glazing Salesmen

Fixes: 47

I Love Double Glazing Salesmen

In my current opinion the person that may have made the statement in the title needs certifying.
Last night I was on the receiving end of pressure selling from a very well known company the like of which I have never experienced before and never wish to again.
I was suitably impressed by the product and the young man who came to tell me about the products was knowledgeable, courteous and polite, never pushing a point.
He was in my house for around three hours and when he had finished I was happy to take his quote under consideration.
He then phoned his 'manager' whom I spoke to for around 10 minutes. That 10 minutes completely destroyed the 3 hours work the young man had put in turning me from a potential customer into a king size liability as far as that company is concerned.
Not only would I never have dealings with that company but would relate my experiences to anyone looking for a recommendation.
A quick browse in Google afterwards revealed a similar tale to be quite common Angry

Ring any bells?Huh
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
62 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: I Love Double Glazing Salesmen

could be any door knocker they all do the same scam
nadger
Rising Star

Bedfordshire is a no cold calling area Smiley
Fixes: 47

Clarification.
They phoned me to book an appointment after a doorstep 'visitor' called a few days earlier.
As I was considering new doors and windows and not having any idea of current prices I thought "why not" Roll eyes
Big mistake.
It was an education I shall carry forward into my next encounter with a Double Glazing company much the wiser Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
minkey
Grafter

Quick look at moneysavingexpert forum found this recent thread about Double Glazing Companies.
It may be useful depending where you live
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=813849
Jeff
Community Veteran

i had a similar experience with an insurance salesman some years ago on a very small policy he was trying to persuade me to upgrade.  i had spent considerable time explaining why i was too poor to consider the upgrade and would prefer to leave it as is.
a few days later, his manager came with him to show the sprog how to sell to reluctant buyers.  silly arse let slip how much the cash in value would be.  i thanked them both, winked at the youngster and, when they had gone, wrote a letter to the company requesting the cash in.
the manager's 'example' to the young salesman lost their company a policy.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Not exactly on topic..... i.e. not double glazing..... just after moving in here, (about this time last year) there were a spate of "door knockers" offering discounts on this and that. in particular, a phone company, that employed a young Indian gentleman, with poor English, (spoken and language).... he called first time, and left a leaflet, to say basically "whatever you are paying your present telephone company is far too much" and we can reduce it....As we had just moved in, and getting to know "how to live from day to day" as most people do in this situation.... where the shops are, where the doctors surgery is, bus stops, trains , bin day, etc etc... I just ignored it... a week later, he accosted me as I was leaving home to go out for the day, I told him to leave it for now. a week later he was back, very persistant, and his boss was in the car down the bottom of the hill, would I go and speak to him.... I said "yes....lead on".... got to this car, another "indian" gentleman, with similar speech and language difficulties, was waiting, I told him that if he, and his associate did not leave the area within 2 minutes I would be calling the police... I had the police number on my mobile phone screen, and showed him it..... with that, he started the car, and I haven`t heard from them since ! ..
Whenever, anyone telephones me with the "cold calling" type conversation, I always ask.... Who`s calling please,  then ask them to repeat it,  then ask what is the call about, are you selling something/ when they answer , I tell them in no uncertain terms "not interested" and put the phone down....
My motto about salesmen/leaflets/etc., is When  I want something, I am capable of doing my own research to find the deal I want, at the price I can afford,  There`s a whole world of choice out there, why should I take the lazy option and go for the one who calls/leaflets me?
No thanks...... Not interested...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

My favorite trick with telephone cold callers is to try and sell them something, pretend to be an insurance agent (was one for the Pru very briefly)
Another trick I have is with those blasted survey people you get in shopping malls from time to time, in truth they don't trouble men very often anyway, but if I get stopped, I immediately ask "how much" they will often reply, "oh no, it doesn't cost you anything" I respond by saying "ah no, you've got it wrong, it's not how much it cost's me, it's how much you pay me for my time for assisting you with this survey that is in question" and then continue with an unbroken stream of inane conversation until they thankfully get away.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

parallel lives again.....
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Do we all try that, three in a bed again? Kiss
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Eh!!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Its another way of saying great minds think alike, or is grotty minds?  petlaw/shutter/pierre
Community Veteran

When we wanted DG we had the same thing every time they would quote a high figure and then ask to use our phone to ring the manager who would then offer a discount if we bought today.
I think the cheeky bit is asking to use your phone to do this. Some got very abusive if you didnt buy and started using foul language.
As for phone call we now subscribe to the TPS and only get a few calls who I then ask for their company details as they are breaking the law ringing me being on TPS most put the phone down very quickly
N/A

Quote from: petlew
Another trick I have is with those blasted survey people you get in shopping malls from time to time, in truth they don't trouble men very often anyway, but if I get stopped, I immediately ask "how much" they will often reply, "oh no, it doesn't cost you anything" I respond by saying "ah no, you've got it wrong, it's not how much it cost's me, it's how much you pay me for my time for assisting you with this survey that is in question" and then continue with an unbroken stream of inane conversation until they thankfully get away.

I get lots of calls at work purporting to be surveys on behalf of various hardware manufacturers. They normally end the call once I point out that they've called a business, and as such we aren't in the habit of *giving* stuff away - if they want to pay for our time, we might be able to come to some agreement, but if not - sorry. Wink
nadger
Rising Star

Very easy way to deal with salespersons is to always answer a question with a question - do it correctly and you end up totally controlling the conversation.