cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Am Really Getting Sick Of Forums

Steve
Pro

I Am Really Getting Sick Of Forums

I have had enough of them and their rules, NO I am NOT on about this forum but the windows Seven forum, Seems you cant do anything these days but you have broken one rule or another!!
You have received an infraction at Windows 7 Forums.
Reason: Inappropriate Image ( This was no Image but a genuine help to someone... Keep reading...
This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

The Story cut short..." I'd really like some ad-blocking for IE9 "
My Response...Try this If you fancy  http://simple-adblock.com/faq/internet-explorer-9/
Their rule...19) No discussion of ad blocking software - Websites cost money to run and blocking ads is no more than theft of service, if you dont like a sites ads then dont use the site.
My decision? I am to take part no more, Had enough now, I mean the moderator was even Insulting In that he could not spell very well and he was British.. My stand with IE9 Ad Blocker Is far from what they say about It, Ad blocker Is a great tool and I recommend It to everyone.
33 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: I Am Really Getting Sick Of Forums

I could list a whole bunch of insulting forums that I frequent or used to frequent.
Mods get that mod status and then become power hungry and start pushing people around. It's pathetic that they're so fubar'd in the head that they feel that a forum on the internet can feed their need for power over someone... get a life eh?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Pro

Rules are rules I suppose no matter how silly or meaningless they are to me, Just fed up with It, I blame the mods here, We got off with so much that when I am In another forum I forget where I am and think I am right here Cheesy
Community Veteran

Actually the mods here used to rub me up the wrong way too. Always editing posts and leaving their little notes/calling cards... like not quoting the whole reply before yours.. if its a busy topic it makes sense to do just that incase someone else replies first.
Now I've given up caring.. they can edit whatever they want lol. Admittedly this is one of the better forums I've been on..
Steve
Pro

This Is the best forum I have been on so far, Really friendly and helpful and the mods at least give you a slapped wrist for breaking one, I have never been penalised here though for trying to help someone... BUT Always on a Microsoft site or there about your breaking one thing or another Grin
N/A

As the owner/administrator of my own forum, I find this an interesting topic Steve so thank you for raising it.  I do hope that we get some interesting replies.
With regards to your original post, I have heard of objections to ad-blockers and although I use Adblock Plus I can see why.  I suppose that with regards to this particular reaction it might be down to who is funding the forum and their own financial interest.  Sounds a bit like over-reaction to me though - maybe a quiet word would have been more appropriate. 
Most forums have so many rules and regulations that it would be very difficult to remember them all and slip-ups such as this are understandable.
I have only been reprimanded once and that was on this forum regarding a signature graphic which was supposed to be too big but in fact another mod said that it wasn't.  I would have thought that if it was too big then the forum software would have chucked it out but there we are.  I was annoyed because I don't use graphics - don't even have an avatar and this particular one had a finite life of about one week so was going to be removed then.  I thought it was all very petty and mod over-reaction so I can understand how you feel.
Being a moderator/administrator is difficult and it is hard to get it right without offending anybody.  I have a new mod on my forum so in the the event of something occurring that is problematic I have asked her to discuss first before taking action.  I think that things often become clearer after talking about the subject. 
With this forum I have to say that the mods pretty much get it right and by and large we all get on OK with no antipathy.  I particularly like the fact that it is straightforward to read - too many forums have huge chunks of quotes and over-complicated signatures that you have to plough through with every reply (very distracting).
Anyway, while we're on about it would like to say thank you to all Plusnet forum administrators and moderators who work in the background to keep it running smoothly. 
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I also have a very small forum,, by invite only.
The old Admin decided without asking us that she had enough of it and within one day, it was gone, no chance for any one else to take over, it used to have adds all over it and I used Add block a lot
My new one is on the same server, and havnt checked the AdBlock database, but no adds since it started in Nov
N/A

That's a shame Pierre, particularly as they often contain some very useful and interesting posts and that is all gone once taken offline (unless she had it backed up somewhere).
Would have thought that she could have at least posted and offered it to someone else to run.
If I decide to take mine offline (and sometimes when it has been quiet I have thought of it) I will have a backup made so that it serves as a record.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I also have a very small forum, it is very hard to get new members, and to get the members that I do have to keep on coming back and posting on the forum.    Sad Cry
Community Veteran

Yup, I've had a forum once, not easy to gain momentum.. I think a lot of it is luck of the draw and managing to keep some form of stimulus amongst the members.
Believe it or not, sitepoint was just as slow once. Posts could go for ages before even being read. Now look at it...
thisoldman
Grafter

well in my humble view I think the mods here do an excellent job under difficult conditions ie the senseless/ill informed posts/posters.

But the q which intrigues me  is how are the mods appointed/selected. Do the ordinary plusnet members have any say in their selection?
Are the mods tested for their diplomacy/empathy skills etc do they face any selection tests.
Perhaps some kind transparency staff member may care to enlighten us all.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

about two years ago the modes were appointed on the results of forum member polls, but as usual the forum members failed to respond.
The next stage was that the existing Mods selected who they would like as a mod, who then went through a probationer period to see if they can do the job - they dont  have all the privilages at this stage.
we have had a couple who fail the probationer period, but generally we dont have problems.
We have also a few Mods who left in a huff and did a few silly things on the way out, nuf said
This Forum is run by the PN customers and by default PN staff are very much kept in the background, they could intrude but normally get stamped on
thisoldman
Grafter

thank you pierre for info.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: thisoldman
well in my humble view I think the mods here do an excellent job under difficult conditions ie the senseless/ill informed posts/posters.

Grin Grin Grin
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
randpwar
Grafter

Yes jelv, the irony wasn't lost on me either