cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hypno - Therapy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Hypno - Therapy

Has anyone on the forum had any experience of going to, or having someone visit them, for Hypno-Therpay sessions....
would be interested to know if it works or if it is a waste of time.......
10 REPLIES
Fixes: 121

Re: Hypno - Therapy

I've tried hypnotherapy twice for a condition I've suffered with for over 30 years.
I was sceptical at first but had nothing to lose. I was even more sceptical after the try back in the 80's. After 4 sessions I just felt the whole thing was a con. I wasn't seeing a back-street fly-by-night, either. He was a well-known and respected therapist who had appeeared on TV.
The 2nd time was around 8 years ago for the same condition. Went with open mind - still came away feeling the same as I had almost 20 years previous.
Yet I have known people who say they have been helped by hypnotherapy for quitting smoking and fear of swimming. So, who knows?
But that was my experiences.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Thanks. for that Mav.... I am sceptical about it too.... load of "mumbo jumbo" .... but maybe someone else has benefitted from it and can speak up......  Undecided
Fixes: 121

It was actually my brother who had the fear of water so wouldn't swim. He's a no nonsense, everything black/white kinda of guy who isn't easily suckered.
Apparently, under hypnosis, he was regressed to a previous life where he was in the navy on a sub and was torpedoed, sunk and he drowned. That's how he got his fear of water. Personally, I still think it's a load of bunkum and, if he did really see a hypno-therapist , then I believe he's been a 'victim' of the placebo effect.
Hypno-therapy, for me, just gave me a lovely feeling of being relaxed. It's while in this relaxed state that one's mind is more susceptible to suggestion - so it's said. I was told you didn't have to believe in it for it to work. Nevertheless, nothing changed for me Sad

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Similar to Mav I tried it about 30 years ago for insomnia.  It was certainly relaxing but didn't  cure my insomnia.
Community Veteran

Thanks guys.... much appreciate the input..... Wink
Fixes: 101

i know someone that had it to quit smoking and it worked and also someone else for a fear of needles, which whilst it didn't stop it 100% it made it a lot more manageable.
Past life regression is more NLP than 'pure' hypnotherapy - both of the people I know used practitioners recommended by GPs.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

interesting they used "practitioners" recommended by the GP....
Community Veteran

Some of the treatments regarded as 'alternative' are available on the NHS. I was referred to a pain clinic and they are going to treat me with acupuncture. 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The answer is simple........... It depends on your type of personality, if for example you are easily suggestible then it's likely to work.
Stage hypnotists for example will perform a simple exercise like getting the audience to raise their left arm in the air and keep it there, then ask if anyone can put their arm down, well of course almost everyone does but there will be a few who are very slow in putting their arm down and the hypnotist  will select these to come to the front where he can then get them to perform various tricks.
It is possible to use self hypnosis and I am sure there are plenty of books or items on the internet covering this topic.
Fixes: 47

My late wife was quite a heavy smoker......went to her GP who hypnotised her and stopped her smoking.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation