cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hyperloop

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Hyperloop

Will hyperloop ever be successful in reaching 700 mph or speeds near to that figure ?

If the answer is yes then is HS2 already out of date ?

Perhaps HS2 should be left until we know the answer to the above, imagine a train that has no issues due to the weather, people on the line or other problems that face conventional trains.

What's your opinion ?

14 REPLIES
Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Hyperloop

Trains can be built to run at that speed have one thing in common with trains we have now. If they don't run on time then what's the point. 

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

@Pete11  Southern Railways staff,will say you have to "guard" against that sort of thing........

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

@shutter

Ha..You'll be saying next that the reason for lateness is the sleepers, they don't want to wake them up.  Roll eyes

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran

Pete11 wrote:

Trains can be built to run at that speed have one thing in common with trains we have now. If they don't run on time then what's the point. 

True but the reasons in some cases might be different so there can be no way which system would be more reliable until the new system was up and running.

Slightly off topic but I guess some of you will have used shuttles and similar transport abroad where there is no guard, what there is are glass doors on the station which only allow access once the shuttle has come to a stop so why can they not use such a system for trains, so no need for guards and no chance of anyone falling or jumping on the track ?)

Community Veteran

Look like you are trying to run this topic into the buffers.

Smiley

DaveyH
Seasoned Pro

gleneagles wrote:

Slightly off topic but I guess some of you will have used shuttles and similar transport abroad where there is no guard, what there is are glass doors on the station which only allow access once the shuttle has come to a stop so why can they not use such a system for trains, so no need for guards and no chance of anyone falling or jumping on the track ?)

Crossrail is installing screen doors on its platforms

http://www.crossrail.co.uk/construction/railway-systems/platform-screen-doors

As for guards I think the argument about them being needed on safety grounds is total bunk and simply unions acting in their own self interests as all unions do

Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

Hyperloop?  Another "point" less piece of engineering....

RobPN
Seasoned Pro

gleneagles wrote:

Will hyperloop ever be successful in reaching 700 mph or speeds near to that figure ?

What's your opinion ?

Well with todays advances in engineering and materials enabling a more refined design, it's probably more likely to succeed than the 19th century efforts of Isambard Kingdom Brunel and others to build 'Atmospheric Railways', take your pick from these search results if you wish to familiarise yourself with those.

So not really a new idea in itself.

Rapthorne
Grafter

I believe the hyperloop has some potential as a local transport method in the distant future, but in it's current incarnation the physics just doesn't add up. There are already a myriad of videos online disproving (through science and logic, not just crazed rants) the current hyperloop as a viable transport method of any kind, let alone long distance commuting

CPU: Ryzen 7 1800X @ 4GHz
GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1060 6GB
Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz
Case: Red/Black NZXT S340 Elite
Community Veteran

Fully accept what you say but clearly someone is putting money into the project and only a fool would invest in something that had no chance of working.

It's interesting to note that those who built trains and laid the tracks made little or no money from it, the ones who made most profit were those who used the trains to transport goods.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Elon Musk is putting plenty of his own fortune into the idea so there is obviously something in it.

Rich people don't do stuff like that to see their money go to waste.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

IRC Hyperloop trains run in a partial vacuum. I can imagine the station announcer: "No Trains today, one of the cleaners stole our vacuum."

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

In essence the whole thing is a giant money sucker like you see in the supermarkets where the cashiers stuff money into a capsule and it gets sucked up a tube to the office.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Luzern
All Star
Fixes: 3

DaveyH wrote:

gleneagles wrote:

Crossrail is installing screen doors on its platforms

http://www.crossrail.co.uk/construction/railway-systems/platform-screen-doors

As for guards I think the argument about them being needed on safety grounds is total bunk and simply unions acting in their own self interests as all unions do

Of course such doors have been on the London Jubilee lines extension for some years. i saw them when going to the 2000 exhib at Greenwich. Scrolling through Google, I found the primary purpose is ventilation and prevention of treated air wasted in the tunnels. Track incursion prevention is said to be a fortunate side benefit.

Installation is not possible unless all rolling stock has computerised control compatible with the screen units

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.