Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hyper-Miler

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 41

Hyper-Miler

Was watching "Wheeler Dealers" the other day..  and the guys did up an old 70`s Honda Civic , I think it was.... in the US of A... small cars ( our normal sized car ) .over there, were called "compacts"...

The big guy, who went out and bought it... also had a little run around the town, with another local guy, who said he belonged to the "Hyper-Miler`s" club... and talked about how they try to achieve better than advertised MPG figures in the cars they run...

So.. the big guy, took up the challenge... when the car was finished. and tuned up. He had worked out a start place exactly 90 miles from the next petrol station... took the car there on a trailer, ( I assumed )  put in two gallons and proceeded to "Hyper-Miler" drive towards the petrol station... only to run out of petrol 1 mile from said petrol station.. Hey Ho !.. Off they went with a can in hand.. ( they were at the top of a hill, just outside of town and could have coasted down....... ( doh ! ) .

Anyway.. end of prog they put it up for sale, and got a call from HONDA  motor museum... who bought it  ! ! ! ! and it`s on display with a hundred other Honda motors !

Went out in the car for a drive in the country today... Lovely sunny day.. bit chilly at 14.5c.. but very pleasant driving... planned on doing a round trip of about 60 miles... the first 30 of which were up the A3 Dual Carriageway, to Hindhead ( devils punch bowl) but now "underpassed" with the Hindhead tunnel) ...

Incidentally that was the only place that had traffic lights between the outskirts of Portsmouth and London ! ! .. ( and what a nightmare traffic problem they caused ) .

I digress.. next 10 to 15 miles was winding country roads, hilly and sharp S type bends.

then back on to the A3 dual carriageway to home....

So..I did my own version of "hyper-mileing"... !   and over the 1hour 30 mins journey time.. ( was in no rush, see.... managed to get 70.5 mpg  as an average.....

started out with 665 miles in the tank.. ( having already done 57miles the previous day) from topping up the tank !.

I arrived home with 705 miles in the tank   ! ! ! ! .

.. and if you add on the mileage already covered... (117) = (57 yesterday + 60 today) , that means that the car could manage 822  ( eight hundred and twenty two ) miles before running out  ! ! ! !

P1100270mpg3.jpgP1100271mpg4.jpg

70.0 MPG  ( it changed as I took the pic, cos I was just stopped in a layby to get my camera ! ! )

P1100271mpg4.jpg

705 miles left in the tank... ( started off at 665 ! !! )

Checking the spec with Parkers car price guide.. it says the car should do 67 mpg ( ha ha ha  very difficult to achieve with normal driving)  and that a full tank will take you 663 miles...

(and before anyone says so...yeah.. I know that the US gallon is smaller than the UK gallon ) ...

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Hyper-Miler

With just two gallons in the tank the car would be a lot lighter by what, 50/60 pounds - so it would do more mpg.

Just a thought.

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

Here you go @shutter to put your theory to the test ...

... try Portsmouth to Hawick and back via M1, A1(M) and A1 which is 822 miles (apparently 410 miles there but 412 miles back).

There (410 miles)...  

Back (412 miles)

Let us know how you get on (and don't forget your fuel can).   Cheesy  Grin

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Minivanman  You missed the point.... !    It was  american gallons.. (3.785 ltrs) compared to the UK gallon... 4.5 (approx) ltrs.

also. the car was a HONDA CIVIC  which had been tuned up professionally to be above the normal MPG standard, prior to the test run by "the big guy"...(* and his tall cohort! ) .

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@RobPN  Yup ! always have a gallon in the plastic can in the boot.... !  Never know when you might need it...

Don`t think I`ll try that route though... but nice of you to look it up for me  !  Smiley

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

@shutter wrote:

@Minivanman  You missed the point.... !    It was  american gallons.. (3.785 ltrs) compared to the UK gallon... 4.5 (approx) ltrs.

also. the car was a HONDA CIVIC  which had been tuned up professionally to be above the normal MPG standard, prior to the test run by "the big guy"...(* and his tall cohort! ) .

@shutter 

Don't forget it was also petrol versus your diesel.  Smiley

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Only another fifteen years to go before some will be saying (and not unlike that Cadbury's Smash advert) "remember cars when you would squirt liquid in, set light to it and it would explode" 🤣 🤣 🤣

And @shutter, you carry a can of fuel in the boot of your car? I thought those days were over. 🙄

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@RobPN  My thread was not a comparison between Wheeler Dealer achievement and my own, I used that as an "intro" to the rest of my story. ! 

@Minivanman  Well, having driven some very long distances overnight, starting with a full tank, I have ALWAYS carried a spare gallon... never had to use it, personally, fortunately, but have helped out a couple of people along the way over time...
( I do change it from time to time on top ups ) .

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@Minivanman wrote:

remember cars when you would squirt liquid in, set light to it and it would explode

They may also say after plugging in their electric car "remember when the numbers on the smart meter didn't change so rapidly and when electric bills weren't so huge".

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

That's true @billnotben and I cannot even begin to imagine what any electric bill will be.

Still mulling over getting one in the near future (something like that new Ami I posted about a little while back) but only in combination I thought with some solar panels as they seem to have come down in price and become more efficient in the process.

Not on the house though as I really don't fancy that, but I do have separate decent sized stone built shed/outbuilding where I park up and which has an 'almost' south facing roof. It cannot be that difficult to fit a few DIY panels surely just for an electric car. 

Will the sums add up? Still working on that little puzzle. 🤔

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@billnotben wrote:

@Minivanman wrote:

remember cars when you would squirt liquid in, set light to it and it would explode

They may also say after plugging in their electric car "remember when the numbers on the smart meter didn't change so rapidly and when electric bills weren't so huge".

Hmmm... interesting thought..... The government want to phase out petrol and diesel vehicles... and get everyone including the transport industry, using electricity to power them

at present there is a very low level of "government grabbing tax" on electricity...as the use of electric vehicles increases... there will be a marked deficit of tax collected at the pumps....

will the government increase the tax on electricity to balance the books ?//

Nah... wouldn`t be good to do that ...........  would it  ? ? ? ? ? 

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Well they could try @shutter but given that electricity has now become essential and it could be argued that the buying of petrol (like booze) is not....

They will have to either claw it back somehow or reduce spending on say defence ie: nuclear armed subs.

The phase out date does not start until 2035 so no worries as far as I'm concerned but then circumstance change so it really is anybodies guess. Maybe they will have discovered a new type of free and everlasting type of energy by then! 

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@Minivanman wrote:

Maybe they will have discovered a new type of free and everlasting type of energy by then

Like micro black holes, dilithium, or divinium.

Now all we need is a working fictional vehicle to go with it,