Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hybrid Cars

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Hybrid Cars

Hybrid Cars
I only went in for a replacement rear wiper blade !!
And came out with a new Hybrid Car !!
My faithful 10 year old Honda Jazz Auto, which I use as a local runabout, has given faultless service throughout its life, only requiring an occasional service, annual MOT, and new tyres and catalytic converter once.
Just 30,000 miles on the clock.
I went to the Honda Garage to purchase a replacement rear wiper blade, and then wandered round to the New Car Showroom.
One car insignia caught my eye….. Hybrid.
So I looked, sat in, test drove, and bought one !

I’ve gone Green !

Top of the range, Jazz Hybrid, with Electric IMA technology, Bluetooth phone interface with speech recognition, and an impressive dashboard.
Plus all the extras you would expect, Leather seats, Climate Control, Traction Control, Automatic Wipers and Lights, Cruise Control, full length Sunroof  etc…
A multi function Speedometer, with background illumination that changes colour depending on your “Green” ECO driving, and a smaller multi function sub display showing many ECO and MPG etc displays, which TBH I did find distracting when first driving, looking at the display too often.

First impressions, yes the Hybrid Jazz has more economical petrol consumption, 60+mpg, compared to my normal 35mpg around the villages, and the IMA engine assist really is impressive at low speeds, when the Hybrid is mostly Electrically powered.
The IMA drive batteries are guaranteed for 12 years.
The main function of the Petrol engine appears to be to charge the IMA batteries, at lower speeds.
Just a few days driving, still getting used to the driving, it is very similar to my old Jazz.
(Not managed to turn the Speedo Illumination Orange yet !)
Mostly Green and Blue.

Now then, anyone else driving a Hybrid car, what are your thoughts on the Hybrid versions ?
BTW, Road Tax is £20 per annum, insurance is still very low, no increase there.
No Congestion charge in London, and many local Authorities allow free parking on their Car Parks.
(I think you can also drive in Bus / Taxi lanes at any time, may not be so, a bit of research due)

I did pay for the extra Autoglym professional treatment, for exterior and interior, again, anyone have impressions or comments of Autoglym ?
275 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Hybrid Cars

I drive a Hybrid car...... it is 13 years old.... has 207,000 miles on the clock... ( i have done 152,00 of them ).. does average 66mpg.... runs on diesel and free wheeling...
what kind of hybrid is that?  Skoda Fabia 1.9 Diesel...
Why is it a hybrid car?  cos it is sometimes on the road causing pollution, and most times off the road , masquerading as a garden ornament, causing absolutely no pollution whatsoever. 
Grin Grin Grin Grin
Community Veteran

We've got a new Mazda 6 coming next week.
Top model
0-60 in 7.9 seconds
Top speed of 139 MPH
175 Bhp
72.4 MPG  Shocked
And it's flippin HUGE ! Not quite sure how it gets such an impressive MPG for such a big car but should be fun to drive Cheesy
Community Veteran

That`s the "official" figure.... wonder what you`ll get if you keep trying to get 0-60 in under 8 seconds....
Could be useful if you want to rob a bank, to pay for the fuel !...  ( or get away from the pumps, if you don`t want to pay for the fuel)  ! ! !  Cheesy
Community Veteran

We have a company fuel card as well - costs us very little in tax compared to what we get back in fuel !
I only do around 2000 miles a year in my old Astra but the wife does around 20-30K a year in whatever she gets as a company car.
Community Veteran

I have just bought one of these, on ebay about a week ago........
perhaps that helped to pay for pluscom`s new car....
As and added thought.. I go to the "el cheapo" shop and buy replacement wiper blades..... much cheaper than going to the Franchise garage.... and much cheaper than having to buy a new car, just to replace a wiper blade !  Cheesy
Devonian
Grafter

My Sprinter  BlueEfficiency was sold to me on the promise of 35mpg under full load, in reality I get about 16mpg.  Angry
What's that you say?  Sales men lie?  Shocked
Infinity
Pro

I took the Jazz Hybrid out for a proper test run in the Sunshine today. Dry roads.
Where I live (Derbyshire, Nr Buxton) there are lots of quite large hills, and a couple of dual carriageways.
Varying between ECO mode, and Normal, ( I didn't even try Sport Mode ) I achieved 63.7mpg over a 40 minute trip, including up and down the dual carriageways a couple of times, in each mode, accelerating hard.
You certainly notice the difference in performance between the two modes, which is mentioned in the Owners Manual.
It certainly is a kick in the back when both the Petrol and Electric motors spring into action together.
I didn't measure acceleration, being on my own, but certainly kept up with a BMW trying to get away, on an uphill dual carriageway, from slow start at a roundabout.
50mph to 70mph is very fast, outstanding in fact with both Petrol Engine & Electric Motor working together.
Resume Cruise to 70mph is quite quick too.
Next, it's time for Sport Mode, when perhaps the Speedo will glow Orange !!
It's good on climbing steep hills too.
Going down the hills, the IMA battery charged itself, no braking, no petrol assistance, just low gear.
Just gently driving along a flat road, indicated 80+mpg
Still getting used to the petrol engine stopping whilst the car is stationary, take-off is electric, with the petrol engine cutting in quickly, depending on throttle.

Am I pleased with the Hybrid... YES.
I am so glad I purchased it.
It will mostly be used, as the previous Jazz was, for local village(s) shopping and short trips.
Expected mileage on a full tank, as indicated by the onboard computer, is around 540 miles, which works out at 9p per mile petrol costs, though after just over 100 miles, the indicator still hasn't moved off full....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Dang it!!  I'd been pleased with 51mpg from my Audi A6 TDi on a return trip from Derby to  Central London, via the M1 with an average (Mean) speed of 56 mph on Wednesday. Now PlusCom turns up with his new toy and shatters my illusions.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Devonian
Grafter

@AA I wouldn't worry, your Audi destroys my Merc... granted it's a big fat van... but it has all the eco toys, stop start engine etc.. and still averages 16mpg.
It's heart breaking leaving home at 5am with the tank on full, then getting home with the tank on nearly empty.  Cry
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
Why is it a hybrid car?  cos it is sometimes on the road causing pollution, and most times off the road , masquerading as a garden ornament, causing absolutely no pollution whatsoever. 

I have one of those except it's an old Clio.
Used mainly just for short couple of mile journeys but I still average 58mpg in winter and mid sixties the rest of the year.
If I do longer journeys then it goes up to mid seventies.
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Now PlusCom turns up with his new toy and shatters my illusions.

My "new toy" comes with extra new toys !!
1) The Bluetooth Hands Free Speech Recognition Telephone System works a treat.
It took a while to set-up, but has worked faultlessly since. Radio mutes in operation.
My main phone also relays signal strength, battery level and incoming numbers on the dashboard display.
And no need to wear a Bluetooth Earpiece.
2) The electronic key fob, at the touch of a button, retracts the ignition key into the fob, not only protecting the electronic key, but also stops the projecting key from damaging your pockets.

It's a voyage of discovery....
Dusk, went out for a “gentle” drive in ECO mode, how I shall normally use the Hybrid, getting used to the petrol engine stopping whilst car stopped at traffic lights, no noise, no vibration….. instant pickup by the electric motor when accelerator depressed, with quite a lot of power.
Slight drizzle, the automatic windscreen wipers, and automatic lights as it went darker, sprung into action.
Also set-up the speed warning display, at 30mph and 50mph, not intrusive at all.
Cruise control in ECO mode works fine, though a to be expected slower response time than in normal drive mode.
All in all, the electric IMA system works well, not noticeable in action at all, apart from showing on the multi display.
The whole Hybrid ECO system seems to be extremely well thought out, and performs perfectly.
Compared to a totally Electric car, I prefer this dual Hybrid system, no plugging in to recharge the  drive battery, and a plentiful supply of petrol throughout the country, giving a range of 500+ miles on a full tank of petrol, with a high top speed if I ever want to do any motorway / dual carriageway driving, of which there are quite a few locally.
To those with Hybrid / Electric cars, any problems with the drive battery / drive chain ?

As I stated above, my old Jazz gave me 10 years of trouble free motoring, and the build quality of the Hybrid Jazz leads me to expect the same.
Obviously the only unknown is the reliability of the Electric Power chain, and battery
Though with a 12 year warranty, no worries there.
Community Veteran

Going past the petrol station I was reminded of my old 80's "hybrid" mark 2 Cavalier, as I saw the 70p a litre sign.
That had a simple switch on the dash. Petrol or LPG.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Well Hybrid might be the way to go but I will stick to the usual method of power such as diesel or petrol and let others test out these new systems, only time plus a large number of users will be able to tell us if the reality is as good as the hype.
Infinity
Pro

Volvo V60 Plug-in Hybrid
MPG 155.2
Top speed 143mph
Price £48,670

But, it "cheats" !!
The car with the highest "claimed" figure is Volvo's V60 Plug-in Diesel Hybrid.
Official testers signed off on a scarcely believable 155.2 miles to a single gallon of fuel.
More astonishingly, it will do that while emitting just 49g of CO2 per km
How does it do this ?
It's much like a normal hybrid but this one can be plugged into the mains.
When fully charged, which takes 4.5 hours on a standard plug, you can drive it as a purely electric car at up to 60mph for a range of 30 miles.
Then..... the Diesel Engine kicks in !!
Actual tested around 75mpg
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/30/volvo-v60-plug-in-hybrid-car-review-martin-love