cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hurricane Sandy

Community Veteran

Hurricane Sandy

Hurricane Sandy is continuing its devastating travel and is heading up the Eastern Seaboard of the US. In the last 30 minutes New York has announced evacuation plans.
The ABC News report has some great pictures. (link 3 below)

Sandy
Update
New York

61 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Hurricane Sandy

Everyone now on high alert. It looks like landfall will be around Atlantic City.
Update
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Got back just in time then...although I think its a bit further north than where you usually are. But it may well have disrupted your flights.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Where I go they were lucky.  Sandy passed them by but they had very heavy winds and rain at the weekend. I feel very sorry for people further up the coast.  Many will be well prepared but inevitably many won't be.
Infinity
Pro

Why ?
Why do people wait until the day(s) before an event such as Hurricane Sandy happens to stock up on Food, Water, Batteries and Flashlights (Torches to you and me) ?
And then panic when the supermarket shelves are empty.
Do they not consider electricity power cuts, loss of Gas or Water services in the normal course of events ?

I of course, having once lived in Norfolk and been snowed in for a couple of weeks, have plentiful standby stocks of all the above.
Plus Radio & a Smartphone for when I lose Internet, probably through power loss more than loss of service.

Artmo, are you safe where you are ?
I have relative in South Carolina, they always seem to be near these events.
Looks like relatives in Toronto may be affected this time too.
(I went to Walt Disney World in Florida, the week after Katrina, not much obvious damage on site, just lost of fallen trees)
Community Veteran

Thanks for your concern PlusComUK.  I got home last week.  Friends in Florida were experiencing heavy winds and rain over the weekend but nothing to worry them.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I've seen reports via twitter that HMS Bounty a tall ship replica has sunk as a result of the Hurricane Sandy waves off the Carolina coast. 14 of the 17 people rescued so far.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 55

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quite a few folk out taking photographs
Live feed from one of several cameras at:- http://www.nyharborwebcam.com/
Edit:- approx address of webcam is 295 Edgewater street, Statan Island NY, Verrazano-Narrows Bridge is to the right of the camera
St3
All Star

Id love to see a storm like this close up, its something we dont get to see here in the uk, altho i know these things can kill id still love to see it. I use to like watching a tv program called "storm chasers" shows some crazy people who get it up close to take pics and vids of everything, aint seen anything like this on tv for a while.
I was watching a forcast on the storm before and it said after all the wind and rain had gone, they had a heavy snowfall predicted.
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Infinity
Pro

Track Sandy...
http://crisislanding.appspot.com/crisismap/2012-sandy
MEN (Manchester Evening News)  news editor Lisa Roland is on holiday in New York City - she sent  this update as Hurricane Sandy approaches:
"Woken up in our hotel room in midtown New York to end-of-the-world style warnings! Hurricane sandy 300 miles away and heading our way this afternoon.
"All subways already closed together with all Broadway shows/shops/ schools. "The city that never sleeps is being brought to its knees by what weather experts are calling the worst storm in living memory.
"Dire forecasts of winds above 75 mph, rain up to 10 inches in Manhattan. Outlying areas worse affected with compulsory evacuation. Power cuts expected.
"So much for our planned trip to Ellis Island today. Will venture out to see what brave breakfast places are open.
"Last night at one of few places open nearby for dinner, waiter offered me a second cocktail with the words: 'Why not? It could be your last!' "

Also...
https://twitter.com/metofficestorms
http://metofficenews.wordpress.com/2012/10/29/hurricane-sandy-heads-for-the-northeast-usa/
Community Veteran

Quote from: ukste20

I was watching a forcast on the storm before and it said after all the wind and rain had gone, they had a heavy snowfall predicted.

Really!! Not if you watch the live feeds.
St3
All Star

Well your link ( http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/49577692/ns/weather/#.UI1R-mfm778 ) i just watched says again heavy snowfall after the rain and winds Tongue
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Veteran

The snow you refer to is in the Appalacians which is to be expected.  Was in contact with friends in NC earlier and they confirm rain and winds.
Rainfall is expected to be heavy and about 6 inches of rainfall is expected in many areas. That will drench some ground and will make trees more susceptible to being uprooted by the strong winds.
Leaves could also pose a problem as they pile up and block storm drains, further adding to the expected flooding.
The new predictions for extensive flooding will be amplified further by the astronomical High Tide on Monday evening with the Full Moon.
Read more at http://global.christianpost.com/news/national-hurricane-center-hurricane-sandy-2012-path-turns-towar...