cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hurricane Irma could be a real nasty and is likely to hit Florida

Community Veteran
Posts: 38,239
Thanks: 932
Fixes: 54
Registered: 15-06-2007

Hurricane Irma could be a real nasty and is likely to hit Florida

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/09/04/hurricane-irma-just-entered-beast-mode-satellite-estimates-ca...

This is the projected location on Sunday morning and it is Cat 5 already from satellite estimate

irma-sunday-morning

 

48 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Posts: 6,307
Thanks: 1,150
Fixes: 11
Registered: 01-12-2010

Re: Hurricane Irma could be a real nasty and is likely to hit Florida

Trump will try to blame the North Koreans Cheesy

But honestly they still suffering from last one , this will stretch them a lot

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Posts: 4,590
Thanks: 750
Fixes: 3
Registered: 06-11-2014

Re: Hurricane Irma could be a real nasty and is likely to hit Florida

Texas can handle their hurricane damage, Florida though, it's pretty much a big swamp, so, they're boned, wouldn't surprise me of the state is declared a total loss...

 

Would be sad though for some, GrayStillPlays on youtube is based in Florida, I like his gaming videos...

Community Veteran
Posts: 18,542
Thanks: 190
Registered: 12-08-2007

Re: Hurricane Irma could be a real nasty and is likely to hit Florida

I'm supposed to be flying to Florida on Tuesday. Will have to see what happens over the weekend.

 

Florida is the most prepared place in the US for hurricanes. Their expertise is such that they offer support all round the world if the need arises.

 

.

Community Veteran
Posts: 38,239
Thanks: 932
Fixes: 54
Registered: 15-06-2007

Re: Hurricane Irma could be a real nasty and is likely to hit Florida

it looks like it could get worse https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/09/05/hurricane-expert-maue-extrapolating-scale-irma-would-be-a-cat...

Dr. Ryan Maue said this morning

Hurricane Irma is still intensifying. Now up to 155-knots (180 mph) Extrapolating Saffir-Simpson scale, 158-knots would be Category 6.

Community Veteran
Posts: 3,826
Thanks: 44
Fixes: 1
Registered: 24-09-2008

Re: Hurricane Irma could be a real nasty and is likely to hit Florida

Jose is lined up behind Irma, only a tropical storm at present, but developing

Community Veteran
Posts: 16,814
Thanks: 1,112
Fixes: 13
Registered: 06-11-2007

Re: Hurricane Irma could be a real nasty and is likely to hit Florida

 

hurricanes.jpghurricanes 2.jpg

 

Community Veteran
Posts: 18,542
Thanks: 190
Registered: 12-08-2007

Re: Hurricane Irma could be a real nasty and is likely to hit Florida

A mandatory evacuation has been declared in the Keys and extra flights have been laid on to help the evacuation.

 

.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Posts: 1,255
Thanks: 334
Fixes: 2
Registered: 05-09-2016

Re: Hurricane Irma could be a real nasty and is likely to hit Florida

The names of British storms for the 2017/18 season have just been released: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41175100

There is no name beginning with Q, U, X, Y, or Z (perhaps they are stuck in the system of the Met Office's supplier, the weather gods).

Community Veteran
Posts: 18,542
Thanks: 190
Registered: 12-08-2007

Re: Hurricane Irma could be a real nasty and is likely to hit Florida

Friends in Florida are now waiting for Irma to arrive. Praying that it may change direction at the last minute before reaching land.

 

Many have already left to escape Irma but travel on the roads has been difficult and there is a general shortage of fuel.

 

Our prayers are with them.

 

.

Community Veteran
Posts: 18,542
Thanks: 190
Registered: 12-08-2007

Re: Hurricane Irma could be a real nasty and is likely to hit Florida

A bit of humour whilst waiting for Irma and the latest update from the area:

 

 Irma on the Move.

 

.

Community Veteran
Posts: 26,372
Thanks: 629
Fixes: 8
Registered: 10-04-2007

Re: Hurricane Irma could be a real nasty and is likely to hit Florida

Looking at the outlook it's possible Lee is starting to brew.

This looks like being as bad a season as predicted: http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/outlooks/hurricane.shtml

NOAA's updated 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season Outlook indicates that an above-normal hurricane season is most likely, with the possibility that the season could be extremely active. The outlook indicates a 60% chance of an above-normal season, a 30% chance of a near-normal season, and only a 10% chance of a below-normal season. See NOAA definitions of above-, near-, and below-normal seasons.The Atlantic hurricane region includes the North Atlantic Ocean, Caribbean Sea, and Gulf of Mexico.

Above-normal seasons have higher numbers of named storms, hurricanes, and major hurricanes, and these systems tend to last longer than in near- or below-normal seasons. It is possible that the 2017 hurricane season could be the strongest since 2010.

This updated outlook calls for a 70% probability for each of the following ranges of activity during the 2017 hurricane season, which runs from June 1st through November 30th:

  • 14-19 Named Storms, which includes the six named storms to date
  • 5-9 Hurricanes
  • 2-5 Major Hurricanes
  • Accumulated Cyclone Energy (ACE) range of 100%-170% of the median, which includes the ACE from the six named storms to date.

The seasonal activity is expected to fall within these ranges in 70% of seasons with similar climate conditions and uncertainties to those expected this year. These ranges do not represent the total possible ranges of activity seen in past similar years.

To date, the 2017 Atlantic hurricane season has produced six named storms, all at tropical storm strength. For the remainder of the season, we expect (with 70% probability for each range) an additional 8-13 named storms, with 5-9 becoming hurricanes and 2-5 of those becoming major hurricanes.

During 1981-2010, Atlantic hurricane seasons averaged about 12 named storms, 6 hurricanes, 3 major hurricanes.

Extremely active seasons (defined by ACE values above 165% of the median) typically have an even greater number of storms threatening the U.S. Gulf Coast and Atlantic Coast, as well as more storms threatening the region around the Caribbean Sea. To date, two tropical storms (TS) made landfall in the U.S. (Cindy in Texas and Emily in Florida), one TS made landfall in Venezuela (Bret), and one TS made landfall on the Yucatan Peninsula (Franklin).

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Posts: 3,826
Thanks: 44
Fixes: 1
Registered: 24-09-2008

Re: Hurricane Irma could be a real nasty and is likely to hit Florida

cone graphic

 

Looking at the cone of Jose, if it kicks North East, Western Europe could be in for some windy wet weather in a week - ten days time

Community Veteran
Posts: 16,814
Thanks: 1,112
Fixes: 13
Registered: 06-11-2007

Re: Hurricane Irma could be a real nasty and is likely to hit Florida

Community Veteran
Posts: 18,542
Thanks: 190
Registered: 12-08-2007

Re: Hurricane Irma could be a real nasty and is likely to hit Florida

Irma tracked NE so Miami has got off lightly. Florida's west coast may not be so lucky. Just spoken to friends in St Pete. They are hunkered down and bracing themselves for the worst.

 

.