Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Humanising Robots!

agedgopher
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Humanising Robots!

Is it me ?

I understand the MEP's are going to debate giving robots the status of "Electronic Person"

Will this include the liability for electronic person income tax and national insurance. What about employers liability under health and safety laws.

I foresee a business opportunity as an Electronic Person Travel agent, ATOL protected of course. 

13 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero

Re: Humanising Robots!

Well some humans already act like robots with rights so I guess it's inevitable we'll see the reverse. In fact with our record, as well as being far more intelligent than us - and define that as you will, robots may well develop a higher degree of fairness and morality. 

God is indeed dead, all hail the machine. But not in my time thank goodness.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

If they have human (electronic persons') rights they can't be owned by anyone so who is going to screw them ... I mean tighten their screws when needed?

nanotm
Pro

the only reason for them to call robots EP's is to stop companies from sacking millions of workers and replacing them with robots, if you read the details their definition is anything that can be loaded with a program to perform work in a static stand alone capacity, this means all those self service tills, robotic factories and warehouses will be paying EP taxes, so instead of saving money on staffing costs those "EP's" will be costing more to utilise than people....

of course granting "EP's" rights will backfire as everyone and their dog is trying to build A.I.'s and the first person to do so will claim EP status for the subject which will prevent it from being switched off and call it murder when someone activates the kill switch...... so even when that "EP" becomes Skynet and infects everything it will not be possible to stop it without ending up in prison for life.....

its dumb as dumb, just create a new tax bracket and charge a fixed fee of £10k per month per robot where a person or group of people could be doing the job to encourage a reversal of the current trend to replacing workers with robots....

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

nanotm wrote:

of course granting "EP's" rights will backfire as everyone and their dog is trying to build A.I.'s

Me and my dog, aren`t

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Humanising robots and robotising humans, probably won't be long before we're the ones being "switched off", don't turn your back on Honda's Asimo, you never know what he might do, like something along the lines of poisoning your drink... Funny

asimo_merges_credit_honda-5234518

Minivanman
Hero

How long before robots will be interviewing humans for that increasingly rare job? Expect to hear nothing back only to find out weeks late that the robot gave it to a robot mate.  

Automated nepotism, now there's a nightmare.  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Fixes: 125

How far off are we from the technological singularity?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

That should bring down the retirement age to somewhere around 15/16 yrs old.. ( school leaving age ! ! ! ) Grin

I have mentioned this before; I love 'robot' movies and TV particularly Terminator and I Robot along with the recent Westworld series.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

agedgopher
Aspiring Pro

I have enjoyed reading all your responses and having given further thought to the thread  I find the current plans revolting.  I find it difficult to resist making fun of the idea, no matter how much it hertz. I am sure that between us we have capacitor to expand the ridicule that the plan deserves. I don't need to prompt you to chip in with a few more mad thoughts and let us see what we can come up with.

agedgopher wrote:

I find it difficult to resist making fun of the idea.

Resistance is futileTongue

agedgopher
Aspiring Pro

@Mav please don'l impede my attempt to increase the laugh factor. LOL

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

It'll be easy to rectify, just hide their batteries...