cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hugging

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Hugging

What's with all this hugging you see or even get these days ?

Where did that come from ?

At one time it was just a handshake, these days it a hug and even a kiss on the cheeks from people you hardly know.

Perhaps I am wrong but feel sure some might feel uncomfortable with such actions.

I exclude from the above relatives where such action may well be appropriate.

7 REPLIES 7
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Hugging

We've managed to ignore unsavory European habits for hundreds of years so I blame America for this.

It's only a matter of time before we end up with similar problems as well.

BBC - Hugging

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

It does seem to be the things these days, especially with the guys a lot more. Only my kids get hugs including my son... but only when we have not seen him for a while as he lives overseas. Just a firm handshake with the guys otherwise but even that was not so common at one time.  

Mind you, Brits abroad especially in France are quick to get into the double (or is it treble) kiss on the cheeks habit, so thank the Lords for small mercies.. :rolleyes:  

Anonymous
Not applicable

The number of kisses given in France actually varies from one to four and is dependent on the region and area you happen to be in.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

We lived in France for a few years before retirement and yes, you are right about that. It was four in the north, three in the south... and Paris just the two. Handshakes with the guys was of course de rigueur.

As a general rule and certainly in my experience, hugging even with females you knew quite well was never encouraged but hey, at least we don't have to rub noses!  :tongue:

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@billnotben 

We've managed to ignore unsavory European habits for hundreds of years so I blame Brexit for this...

There, fixed that for you. :thumbsup:

Champnet
All Star
Fixes: 2

Our first trip to LA we were warned about the locals love of KTA, kissing thin air..............

Baldrick1
Hero
Fixes: 109

When I was working we had a re-organisation whereby Programme Managers became responxible for Engineers working on their project. The PMs were told that they should 'embrace' their Engineers. The next day one of the wittier PMs turned up for work wearing a pair of Marigolds.