cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hudl2 - an expensive throwaway tablet.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Hudl2 - an expensive throwaway tablet.

I know many on here have bought a Tesco Hudl2...but I was shocked to find out that if the screen cracks (and apparently a lot are-on their own) it can't be replaced as the screen is bonded to the circuit board. If you send it away to Tesco for repair they simply return a refurbished one, for the princely sum of ....£96!
If I'd known this I wouldn't have bought one. 

https://m.facebook.com/tesco/posts/648673411858460
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Hudl2 - an expensive throwaway tablet.

Solution; Fire off a letter to Trading Standards and then go buy a Samsung Galaxy Tab or Note series tablet that has virtually unbreakable (yes, if you're stupid or are out to intentionally break it, it'll break) Gorilla Glass for a screen, none of that cheap 1920s plate glass on their products... Grin
Community Veteran

From what I've read I've drawn my own conclusions about this problem.
It seems to me that the problem is that the glass IS strong AND bonded. So when the circuit board/motherboard gets hot it expands, however the glass expands at a different rate. This would cause bending of the glass or motherboard. If the heating is isolated or restricted to a small area of glass, this expanded area would be pushing against the cooler area, causing a fracture.
As for trading standards, the problem is proving the fault. Tesco simply claim it had been dropped- hire can you prove otherwise?
I bought my wife a Hudl2, so far no problems, but if it does break I May just tie it to a brick and their it through one of their plate glass windows. See how they like broken glass!! :-)
itsme
Grafter

Standard PCB use FR4 material and this contain glass so would not suspect to see major thermal differences between board or LCD.
Community Veteran

Quote from: doris
As for trading standards, the problem is proving the fault. Tesco simply claim it had been dropped- hire can you prove otherwise?

Tell them the fault, so they can buy a bunch and test them out themselves, if the fault exists as you describe it, then the customers who have had the mystery cracking happening are not at fault therefore have no reason to pay for a replacement that will also have the same fault... Smiley
It's amazing that TS can do to find out where things are not right, but only when people tell them what has happened, rathar than second-guessing and saying they won't do anything about it...... Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Might be worth checking how many users have actually had this fault happen, whilst the potential is there for it to happen in reality few if any may have had that problem.
Community Veteran

Well it hasn't happened to me, I just came across this because I was considering buying one with a cracked screen then fixing it myself. I thought it a bit odd that I couldn't find any screens - usually the Chinese are all over something like this - but none available. And more worrying, when I searched on eBay, the number of Hudl2 s with cracked screens for sale with starting prices of a few pounds had alarm bells ringing. So I did a Google search for "hudl2 screen repairs" . This led me to the 'problem' with the screens.
Then Tesco own statement saying they "can't repair them, they send you a refurbished one" was a bit worrying.
I bought the wife one for Christmas, fingers crossed!! Huh
Community Veteran

My stepson has an Advent based tabled with the Nvida chipset - exactly the same issue when he broke his.
wisty
Aspiring Pro

Not just the cheap ones. I dropped a Microsoft Surface 2 Pro on a concrete floor last year. landed on its corner - very pretty!!
MS repair was £200+ three day turnaround. Fortunately an insurance claim job. What came back was a brand new unit.
Community Veteran

Quote from: doris
the number of Hudl2 s with cracked screens for sale with starting prices of a few pounds had alarm bells ringing

Before I bought my very cheap and satisfactory Hudl (1) off ebay I did find it strange that broken Hudl 2's were cheaper than broken 1's.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

As a family, we have 6 hudl1's, no hudl2's
We also bought the quite substantial protective cases from Tesco.
No problems with any, the screens never get hot, even after watching a TV programme for an hour.
If the hudl2 screens tend to crack with thermal expansion, would not the screen get warm / hot ?
That would be a good time to rest the hudl2...
Presumably, if the screen did crack, the hudl would still be usable ?
We also have the micro HDMI output cables, which give a good image on a TV screen, though obviously this negates somewhat the portability.
itsme
Grafter

LCD's have a very poor working temperature range 10 to 40 typically, at 10 the display is slow and dim and above 40 all segments look all on. So I would expect the user would get a visual indication that the LCD is getting hot.
LCD construction is a sandwich of glass with liquid in the middle, with 3 light filters and a polariser fixed to the top layer of glass so a strong construction so I would expect if it was a difference in thermal expansion of glass and the pcb that the bonding would be the first to fail.
I have tested products to prove that they meet regulatory requirements way above 40 centigrade and have never seen LCD glass break. 
Community Veteran

@ Itsme...    the concept of heat causing the breakages is mine. I was assuming it was heat as some people have said it got hot. It could be the bonding that causes the issue - either way there is an issue.