Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huawei and 5g network

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Huawei and 5g network

I'm not as tech-savvy as many of you here are so I can only go by what I read, but should we really be allowing this state run Chinese company anywhere near our network despite warnings of a security risk?

From the article;

"The US wants its allies in the "Five Eyes" intelligence grouping - the UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand - to exclude the company"

I smell a 2020 Chinese year of the Rat m'self. 

37 REPLIES 37
Community Veteran

Re: Huawei and 5g network

One day maybe one of these ever increasing g's will hit the right frequency and people will start dropping like flies.

Either that or electric vehicles will catch on and in a decade or so the resulting pollution from lithium battery production and disposal will make the over hyped diesel problem look like the golden age of motoring.

We're all doomed I tell you.

Highlighted
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 7

I must confess I find all the wailing about Huawei backdoors a little hypocritical given
what Edward Snowden told us about the NSA/GCHQ surveillance programs - which no
doubt are still in place.

Is it just me being cynical, or is all this hassle of Huawei (noting that it comes in the main
from the countries involved in the Five Eyes intelligence alliance) because

a) they are concerned that if Huawei technology is used, they will not have leverage over
the equipment supplier to include their own back doors.

b) they (or the America First US at least) are trying to protect US suppliers of equipment
from a competitor who is developing better products.

It may be that the products are [-Censored-], but would feel more comfortable if I could hear
about similar reports on the US suppliers equipment!!

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@wisty 

Fair points, but even if a) and b) are true, does that mean those security concerns are invalid?

I'm not sure that it does. 

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 7

Not totally invalid, but its all relative - are the security concerns about China an bigger than those about the US? If I as an indvidual were asked to list the countries that I saw as a threat (physically, financially or politically) to me as a resident of the UK, China would come a fair way down the list.

It may seem a bigger threat to those who see Britain as the rightfull owner of a global empire and a global reach. But in terms of my personal security I would probably put Saudi Arabia (as funders and promulgators of Wahhabism), Russia, and the US under Trump (protectionism and America first) well ahead of China as a threat to me and my way of living.

If you asked me which of the US or China I thought would use its influence with the telecommunications industry to hoover up information about me then Snowdon gave us the answer.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@wisty 

No argument with that, but that's not the point is it?

Here was are talking about the future of our technical infrastructure and sure the US leave much to be desired - and that's putting it lightly, but here we have a situation where China would have no need to sneak into our networks, we'd be showing them the way in and saying thank you very much. 

One comment I have read was that "Huawei has denied there is any risk of espionage or sabotage, or that it is controlled by the Chinese government" Not true was the reply, "All Chinese companies trading abroad report to the Chinese Communist Party. Anyone who thinks otherwise is naive" 

ffox
Pro

@Minivanman:

It would save our time in future if you provided links to quotes rather than us having to check them ourselves to determine if they are genuine.  

I found the first one here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48051999

I didn't get any hits on the second one.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Why would you think they are not genuine, and by "us" I guess you are including the likes of @RobC 

Perhaps you would like some evidence of where I went to school, college or university because of my use of words and education. How about some ID with a photograph attached, a copy of my first degree or even some proof I once owned a bleeding Minivan.

I have been consistent with my references and yet miss one out and the best you can do is pull me up on it? But hey, as long as we stick to comparing an elected politician to Adolf Hitler on a public forum, then all is right with the world.

Jesus, so glad I did not mention I went for a dump this morning... oh no, now I have. Crazy2

Luzern
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 5

As for the US, as someone above seems to say. is it guided as much by its own market as by Chinese skulduggery?Undecided

As an entirely rocking-horse creation in cyber security, and the likes of 5G, I haven't any idea of what the division between core and peripheral infrastructure is. What will they be permitted to supply, and what is likely capable of use in an unfriendly way?

Exaggerating, we decide even their screws, nuts and bolts are risky, then what of their existing stuff around us?

As to politicians, I doubt they are capable, but they should leave it to the experts to decide.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@ffox 

Just to indulge your need.

The first one you found so congratulations, the second one is below. As for that dump I had earlier... well we'll not stoop to a level above that of using images of Adolf in order to make our point. 

Capture.PNG

Thanks? Don't mention it.

PS. Would you like to take issue with Pat Condell's assertion about Chinese companies trading abroad having to report? He could be fibbing y'know, what with not having provided a link and all. 

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Luzern 

Listen to the experts eh, yet every disaster movie ever made starts off with experts being ignored, so we'll not hold our collective breaths in the vain hope that politicians will make an exception in this particular case.  

Luzern
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 5

This leak should not have been, and gov't is considering if there may be need for a criminal investigation.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Well there are only nine members of the security council so it should not take long - unless of course it was one of the several sub committees in which case they might just as well try and find Jack the Ripper. 

ffox
Pro

@Minivanman 

Thanks for the link.Smiley 

I did a bit of research to find "Patrick Condell is a British writer, polemicist, and former stand-up comedian. "

Polemic definition here;

My case rests.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

How does Condell being a polemic (if that's what he is) "rest your case" - unless you are suggesting he is a liar in which case take it up with him on Twitter - or better still, the Chinese Embassy.

I have no authority to defend the guy, but having 'followed' him for some years now I have never known him to be untruthful, on the contrary, he tells some uncomfortable truths.

Should we fact check every utterance by evey pundit and/or 'polemic'? That sounds like fun.

On a lighter note one high profiler I also trust to give an honest opinion is political editor Laura Kuenssberg,