Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huawei & 5G

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Huawei & 5G

Seems that Boris is going ahead with allowing Huawei to operate the 5G network with restrictions or exclusions in national security areas.

What ever you think about this decision it is clear Boris is not going to be under the thumb of Trump.

Out of interest is there any other country that could have offered us a 5G network other than America ?

28 REPLIES 28
Highlighted
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 159

Re: Huawei & 5G

Whatever happened to the time when we would have developed such systems.ourself and flogged it to the rest of the world?

I hear all these stories about security risks but not one mention of the extensive use of Huawei equpment in our current FTTC infrastructure. Why is this not an existing risk that should be getting the USA hot under the collar? Or is it all about trade wars really?

I get that the main risk is from potentially hostile countries spying but that doesn't mean that friendly ones aren't also snooping around. At least this way our security services should be more on the ball.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 42

@Baldrick1 wrote:

I get that the main risk is from potentially hostile countries spying but that doesn't mean that friendly ones aren't also snooping around. At least this way our security services should be more on the ball.

I agree.... if they "know" that the chinese are supplying the infrastructure, the electronics, or whatever, to provide the 5G service... then the securtiy service will be one step "in" to the way the system works... and therefore be should be able to pry into the system to see IF anyone is actually causing a threat.. and from whence it comes...

Highlighted
Champion
Fixes: 1

@gleneagles According to the Express the Americans do not have the capacity to supply 5G. they are getting thiers from Ericcson (sweden) and Nokia (Finland). Thumbs_Up

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Baldrick1 

What happened is that as far as I know - and I can recall having to study for what it was worth the internal architecture of the Intel 8085 - the UK might have had the software engineers but none of the hardware to go with it and neither did the likes of China. But they do now on both counts and we still don't.

Maybe China being now free of US dominance in the field of microelectronics is what gets up their nose and silicon valley is no longer the only kid on the block. 

The US does not like it, and they want us not to like it as well?

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

The sheer folly of companys like Apple having stuff made in China to reduce production costs ( but not the end price to the consumer ) is now being made plain..  It has given China a real leg up into electronics that otherwise would have taken it longer, it is a bit like giving your ( obvious ) future competition and military rival your business and a lot of money.  Trump is right with his 'made in America' programme....

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@TTman wrote:

@gleneagles According to the Express the Americans do not have the capacity to supply 5G. they are getting thiers from Ericcson (sweden) and Nokia (Finland). Thumbs_Up

Thanks for that....

I wonder why we have not decided to get it from Sweden & Finland......cost ?

It's not good that we are unable to provide it ourselves and suggests even countries of that size are well ahead of us on the electronics front.

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@Minivanman wrote: Maybe China being now free of US dominance in the field of microelectronics is what gets up their nose and silicon valley is no longer the only kid on the block. 

The US does not like it, and they want us not to like it as well?

I think you've hit it right there. Assuming averages, if you get a certain number of clever people per head of population, it isn't surprising then that given far higher population numbers in China / India there is going to be more of them.

Problem I have with Trump and Co. is that we are expected to bow our heads every time he utters a command, as if the USA was the only country on the planet that matters. Unfortunately the world is moving on, for good or bad, other countries are getting bigger and better.

As for Huawei, I wouldn't have thought it would be above our own people to check out the software / hardware before it was put into use. From what I was reading the other day, the US hasn't come up with the info that points to Huawei being a security risk and it seems everyone is waiting for it and so far it hasn't appeared.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

@gleneagles wrote:

I wonder why we have not decided to get it from Sweden & Finland......cost ?

Apparently it's not just down to cost, but that Huawei are ahead of Ericsson and Nokia in 5G development which would mean a delay in 5G implementation in the UK.

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion

We upset either the Americans or the Chinese. Looking ahead we may need trade deals with either or both.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@wotsup wrote:

it is a bit like giving your ( obvious ) future competition and military rival your business and a lot of money.  

Which is exactly what we've been doing with Russia for years - sending them money to rescue their economy. Look where that's gone and got us - in the 💩

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Twwet of the day ( Guido Fawkes )

It's less than a year since Gavin Williamson, now Education Secretary and formerly Campaign Manager to Boris Johnson, was fired as Defence Secretary for allegedly leaking that Theresa May was... considering giving the green light to Huawei.

Funny how the wheel turns.

— Andy Silvester (@silvesterldn)
Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

@Baldrick1 wrote:

At least this way our security services should be more on the ball.

GCHQ / HCSEC have been aiming to 'manage the risk' for several years now.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I don't see what all the fuss is about, the UK has Huawei products everywhere, within telecoms & data infrastructure and for us end-users too such as mobile phones and modem-routers (the vodafone router I had while away from PN was custom made by Huawei for them), which I'm sure they could plant secret backdoor spying code into if they wanted to, it's just the whole paranoia thing with certain types in government, everyone's a spy to them, and they wouldn't want "the enemy" to know that they've been spending their expenses money on silky underpants hand made by peasant virgins after all... 🤣

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

The fuss is because of the US for commercial reasons are trying to stop China supplying us what they cannot and citing security concerns. They may be right but as you say we are already using there stuff - and have been for some time. 

Smoke and mirrors? It certainly seems like it and good to note that as we leave the EU we do not automatically go all Atlantic trade. - except for those chickens perhaps. 🐔🐔🐔🐔 😃

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today