Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huawei Security Scare

Highlighted
Fixes: 416

Huawei Security Scare

Cyber watchdog warns on Huawei security risks to critical UK networks

Significant additional work” is needed to manage the risks to UK national security from the involvement of China’s Huawei in the country’s critical networks,

BBC News link https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44891913

There is quite a lot of Huawei kit in use here.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 74.0.1 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

Re: Huawei Security Scare

Is this the same company that was going to provide the WIFI service for the London Underground  ? ? 

Highlighted
Community Veteran

There has been suspicions about this company for a long time.

'

Highlighted
Rising Star

Huawei development and engineering processes have several security flaws which continue to be unaddressed.  We've no idea how much Huawei stuff is installed in the Plusnet environment, and the PN staff show no interest in developing user awareness in the cybersecurity area. My earlier call for a specific board for this topic went unanswered. This report to govt provides some detail - recent audit on oversight activity at the govt level.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/7902...

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@Strat 

Sorry, but that "Security Scare" news link is almost a year old, and despite GCHQ calling Huawei "shoddy" and the UK being leaned on by the US government, Russia seems to like their stuff as reported by the BBC only yesterday!

So what is going on, is it really about security or is it as I'm inclined to suspect, more about trade. 

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

It can only be about trade if there is an American or other supplier capable of delivering the hardware and I don't this is the case here. Huawei are the market leaders in the 5G field, with the closest competitor a year or more behind them as regards technology.

Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 2

The Government will probably sign a deal with Huawei just to show we're not influenced, or controlled, by the States....

Highlighted
Fixes: 416

@Minivanman wrote:

@Strat 

Sorry, but that "Security Scare" news link is almost a year old

It wasn't when I posted it Wink Old thread.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 74.0.1 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Highlighted
Grafter

I bought a Mate 20 Pro a few months ago and didn't even think about a security threat. Slightly concerned that my phone won't receive updates and lose any value it has as a re-sell. I've been with Apple for a decade and just moved to Android, might have to go back to Apple when my contract ends!!

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@Champnet wrote:

The Government will probably sign a deal with Huawei just to show we're not influenced, or controlled, by the States....

Well they've got to sell us down the river somehow and in this case they can do so either way..

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

I bought a P Smart a month or so ago (£200 and an excellent spec for the money). I don't think my life is interesting enough for the Chinese to worry about spying on me, and I'm pretty sure that the US will sort out their concerns with some money (For what it's worth, I think this is just the US trying to protect Apple from the new kid on the block).

A slight aside, but I don't see how anyone can justify over £1000 for a phone that they will change in a couple of years!

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@John_Hull 

First they came for my country, and then they came for me. 

No? 

OK then. Roll_eyes

As for those £1000 phone I totally agree, but then Wants need no justification, only Needs - at least according to the DWP.

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

@Minivanman wrote:

@John_Hull 

First they came for my country, and then they came for me. 

No? 

For clarity - I don't think Huawie is spying on anyone, least of all me personally, and the whole thing is the US protecting their markets.  

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Markets come into sure, but as for spying as we know (or should know by now) that all major governments spy on the public so probably not much difference whether it's foreign or domestic now or in the future - or is there?

Anyways, at my age should I be bothered. Not really.  Tongue