cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How would you react?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

How would you react?

May I first point out a company is not identified, nor are percentages or prices those actually quoted to avoid actual identification, these are only examples and may not compute exactly (just in case the pedants wish to correct me)
I received a promotional email seemingly from a well known company. it offered a 55% discount on a product reducing the price from £22,99 to £11,99 (please note the comma's in place of the more usual full stop separators).
Before saying what I did, what would you think and what would you do next?
Oh yes, forgot, it had a large linked "purchase" button.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: How would you react?

First - Do I want or need the item
If No then bin it
If Yes then check the price on Amazon and elsewhere
if it is a real deal go to their website and place the order from there - not from some possibly dubious link
Community Veteran

Yes, pretty much what I would do as well. The promotion was not showing in the companies website.
The promotion product was a form of add-on to an existing product.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Ok, my suspicions were immediately aroused by the strange looking comma separators in the prices, not the usual way of presenting UK prices and just the kind of basic grammatical error that is made by scammers and phishers who may not be familiar with the usual full stops we mostly use.
I took a screen shot of the ad, and emailed it to the company together with a brief explanation for doing so.
On reply, I was roundly castigated by the company for wasting their time. Who then went on to offer a completely different product at no discount.
I politely declined.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The first thing I would do is to look at the destination of the purchase button in the email (Thunderbird shows the destination when you hover the mouse over the link - if your mail client doesn't do that you'll need to look at the message source).
Chances are that the domain of the link won't be to the company's website in which case it's almost certainly a scam. If it is to the company's website it's almost certainly genuine.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
kmilburn
Grafter

The commas are not as suspicious as you think,  several european languages use commas where we use the decimal point.
If the company was based in one of them,  they may not have given it any consideration.
For instance,  recently looking at some Router bits on a UK web site and was presented with this
Contents:
1 x Straight Router bit 12,7 mm
1 x Straight Router bit 6,35 mm
1 x Straight Router bit 3,175 mm
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The old adage ( where does that word come from.... what does it mean  Undecided )
If it seems too good to be true...................................................................................... it probably is...  Smiley
Community Veteran

Seems an odd experience possibly best avoided.  I agree with kmilburn about the commas.  Spain certainly use commas and not points.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: kmilburn
1 x Straight Router bit 3,175 mm

Hey, 'Router' is spelled exactly the same as 'Router'.
The example above is a good reason not to use commas as a decimal separator since with three decimal places it becomes indistinguishable from a thousands separator (though a 3-and-a-bit metre Router (of either type!) would be a pretty unusual thing).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
kmilburn
Grafter

I'd agree,  and it took me a (short) while to realise what was meant.
Unfortunately,  the Germans (and others) use the comma and period for the exact opposite of what we use them for.  (e.g. 1.000,00  vs 1,000.00)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Discounts of 50% are nearly always a con.
Anyone remember Woolworths? Medion laptops just £399 instead of £800 thats over HALF PRICE!
Yeah, right. Funny thing was that the specs matched that of other £400 machines out there at the time. They wondered why they went bust?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!