cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How would you deal with this?

Fixes: 124

How would you deal with this?

Having looked at many mp3 players for our niece my wife & I purchased a Kubik Edge II 4GB mp3 player from Amazon.co.uk having first checked out all details on Kubik's website.
As you can see from Kubik-Digital.com it clearly states it comes with a mains adaptor yet there wasn't one in the box.
In the manual (which obviously can only be read once the box is opened) it states that the mains adaptor is an optional extra. The adaptor is ncessary as neither our niece or her family have access to a PC. We will put the music on for her before my Mrs Mav takes it to her in Ukraine in two weeks.
There is no telephone or address to contact Kubik and I haven't had any luck with a Google search. As it's the manufacturer and not a reseller I didn't think I'd need to check this out first. There is an email address and online contact form so I have sent a message.
I also realise my contract is with Amazon and I have every right under the DSR to reject it but this was the best mp3 player we could find that we felt would be suitable for a very bright 4-year-old to use. It also has a camera and video player to boot!
So, you can tell, we're very dissapointed.
Does anyone have any recommendations for an alternative mp3 player that ticks the above boxes or as near as damn it?
Edit: I was going to add a screenshot of the pdf before deciding to post the link above. It was then that I couldn't find anyway of cancelling the attachment without first posting the message then removing it. Is that the only way to remove an unwanted link apart from copy and pasting to a new message?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

28 REPLIES
mikeyd
Grafter

Re: How would you deal with this?

You just need a generic mains to USB adapter, like this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pama-UK-Mains-USB-Charger/dp/B000ORUKKE although I don't know what the quality of that one will be like at £2. 

True, but my point is I shouldn't have to fork out extra for something the manufacturer showed as being included.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

However Amazon don't say that there is a mains adapter under box contents http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kubik-Screen-Player-Built--YouTube/dp/B003XQCJKW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319...
Fortunately their return system is first class
Having said that you can get the mains adapter http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mains-Kubik-Touch-Screen-Player/dp/B003BL3FZ2/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=U... for £7.99

Quote from: Oldjim
However Amazon don't say that there is a mains adapter under box contents http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kubik-Screen-Player-Built--YouTube/dp/B003XQCJKW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319...

That's my point, oldjim. My contract is with Amazon but what I don't know is, legally, do they have to honour what is stated on the manufacturer's website as being included?
I'm hoping to hear from Kubik within a couple of days whether they will send out the charger free of charge. I did receive a next-day reply when I asked if the manual was also in Russian.
I never felt I needed to read Amazon's specification as I had already looked up Kubik's - lesson learnt Angry

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I agree with getting a USB charger, for our MP3 players I bought from Amazon a "LUPO" 1000mA charger that comes with an adaptor lead for the smaller 'D' shaped USB sockets.
The one I bought had almost all 5-star ratings in the reviews, but I can't find the exact same model now, although it looks remarkably similar to the generic one shown in 'mikeyd's post - but that one doesn't have great reviews !.
I presume that these Example-1 and Example-2 are just later models, and both have good reviews.
I got the 1000mA version, because it gave better flexibility for being used with other USB gadgets in the future, and using a power adaptor that is overrated for it's normal charging load (of the MP3 player) should mean better reliability and gets less hot - as the thing would have been designed to a better specification in the first place.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Mav
True, but my point is I shouldn't have to fork out extra for something the manufacturer showed as being included.

Other than DSR I don't think you have any claim.
The manufacturer's PDF is dated 19-04-10 and "Specifications are subject to change without notice." and Amazon has correctly described the product.
Caveat emptor!

Thanks for the input.
Can't see anything else that really fits the bill mp3-wise.
Maybe Kubik will come up trumps Smiley
There is their own charger but I can't see any ampage ratings.
Edited for wrong link Embarrassed

pierre_pierre
Grafter

I had trouble with a similar device from Tesco, the outside of the box said MPG4 as one of its facilities, got  it home and tried to load and play, no joy, then read the manual from inside the sealed box, on about page 20, it doesnt play MPEG 4, got my money back
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

OK..
Personal Recommended ... I have this item, and it is absolutely BRILL...  (only snag, it does not have a camera), but then I always carry my Panny FZ28 wherever I go ! ! !
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-BLUE-8GB-MP3-MP5-MP4-PLAYER-DIRECT-PLAY-3-SCREEN-/370553775030?pt=UK_A...
It comes with a charger, and leads to plug it into the tv....
I bought a small battery powered amplifier and speakers (£10) from Asda, so I can play it in the car when waiting for the missus to get the shopping...
Oh yes, I can recommend him as he gave me some excellent customer service.
One of the best ebay buys I have ever made.
Community Veteran

Ellis
Grafter

Quote from: mikeyd
You just need a generic mains to USB adapter, like this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pama-UK-Mains-USB-Charger/dp/B000ORUKKE although I don't know what the quality of that one will be like at £2. 

I have one of these in black, when I bought the Kindle it also contained one in white. So I've now got two.

I found this charger which will be better anyway in Ukraine.
SWMBO liked the idea of speakers as well. Unfortuantely, with 6 days to go from your ebay link, shutter, then add delivery times it's getting too close to when she flies out.
So we've ordered a pair of these. A bit gimicky but SWMBO thinks her niece will love them. At £4.99 not so bad Smiley
Thanks for all the tips. Cheers.

Community Veteran

Yay!///  would love to have them speakers....but not much room in my Skoda Fabia for them.... (current speakers reside under the seats !)
Was NOT recommending the speakers... only the MP4 Player... You could email the seller and get him to deliver first class post... or by courier ... I am sure he will oblige...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

@Mav : Did you read the customer reviews of these similar speakers that seem to have just a different shaped case ?  Undecided