cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How well do you know your car warning lights?

Fixes: 123

How well do you know your car warning lights?

Warning ahead! 98 per cent of drivers cannot understand their dashboard lights
The most baffling light is for a faulty catalytic converter which was incorrectly identified by 95 per cent of drivers.

I acclimatise myself to the lights when I get a car and it's really only those that appear unexpectedly or stay on longer than usual I tend to concern myself about. A quick look in the manual usually helps identify what the warning is about.
Some signs are obvious and some not so. I didn't know the 'Water in fuel warning' and what do the 'Press clutch/brake pedal lights' do? Do they simply illuminate as you press the respective pedals? If so, why?
Never having driven a diesel I didn't know any of those.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Re: How well do you know your car warning lights?

and what do the 'Press clutch/brake pedal lights' do
Many cars these days won't start until the clutch/brake are depressed. I suspect these light come on if you try and start without depressing them.
beeceegee
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

On my previous car I used to get regularly a yellow warning light that looked a bit like an engine. I had no idea what it meant, and after two years of trying to find the fault it was clear that the garage didn't either.  Shocked
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

On my current car I know all of them but looking at the image that Mav has provided there were a few I didn't know.
The worst one is the fog lights indicator. Why do so many people drive round with their fog lights on when there is no need for it? - I asked one bloke once and he said he didn't even know they were on. When I mentioned the icon to him on the dash he said he didn't have a clue what most of them meant  Crazy
Moons ago people used to take pride in knowing their machines but these days it seems that no-one is bothered about anything!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!

Quote from: Sprite
Moons ago people used to take pride in knowing their machines but these days it seems that no-one is bothered about anything!

Could information overload have anything to do with not bothering to learn about all the warnings? Undecided

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Oooh I should be good at this !

"1" - Warning teenage driver has the horn.
"2" - Warning this car is so knackered that it requires a genie in a magic lamp to get it started.
"3" - You have forgotten something - was it the baby, or did you lock the front door ?
"4" - There is ABSolutely no way that you will pull that hot babe no matter how smooth you cruise.
"5" - Remember to buy batteries next time you pass Dixons.
"6" - You have stalled again you fool !
"7" - The Sat-Nav is saying warning you have arrived in Egypt.
"8" - You blood alcohol level isn't high enough, go back to pub for another drink.
"9" - Look out for Indiana Jones and the rolling boulder.
"10" - Your hostage is escaping from their handcuffs.
"11" - Beware of snowballs or water-bombs.
"12" - This car is disgustingly filthy and requires a good hoovering.
"13" - Beware of low flying comets, meteorites, and fireballs.
"14" - You just did a wee on your seat !
"15" - Your Edam cheese sandwich is starting to pong !
"16" - Your passenger has farted and you need to open the window.
"17" - Urgent ! someone in the car is bursting for a pee.
"18" - You need to put you size ten boot to the floor to go faster.
"19" - Reminder, you are now driving a real car and not still racing on the Xbox.
"20" - Oh no - do you have to wear your Star Trek uniform while driving - you are not piloting the Enterprise now !
"21" - Please wear some shoes.
"22" - Please clean your shoes.
"23" - Warning - your passenger swings both ways.
"24" - You have driven into the sea - warning poisonous jellyfish !
"25" - Stop texting while driving.
"26" - Your engine needs a steam clean and vac.
"27" - Look out for tractor tyres in the road.
"28" - The engine management software as a big fat bug in it.
"29" - Stop looking at your watch and concentrate on your driving.
"30" - That's not a cats-eye, thats a cats-bum hole.
"31" - Warning of fat girl bending over - don't look you might puke.
"32" - Is commenting that the driver is behaving like a right spanner.
"33" - Warning that the driver is drunk.

How many did I get right ?
Community Veteran

Quite possibly Mav but I'll bet they all remember their facebook and twitter logins  Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

The fog lights on my car have their original candles fitted as they never get used.
I got most of the symbols but those I didn't I have only seen as a passenger in my son's car as it has the lot Cry
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
198kHz
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: beeceegee
On my previous car I used to get regularly a yellow warning light that looked a bit like an engine. I had no idea what it meant, and after two years of trying to find the fault it was clear that the garage didn't either.  Shocked

I had that once on a Ford Fiesta, and the car's performance was as if it had suddenly become a 49cc moped.
Took into the workshop, and the guy came back 5 minutes later with the all clear. How so? I queried.
Just took the battery off for a minute, then re-connected, he said. No charge. Ah, great, thanks, said I, and oh by the way, it often works with computers too.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I haven`t got that many on my Skoda... however... there is one, that they have got wrong...

31. Glow plug/diesel pre-heat warning 

Ok... it may well be correct when you switch on my Skoda Fabia 1.9 SDI Diesel.... and it goes out after a period to show that the glo plug has warmed up the cylinder and it is a good time to start the engine.... however... when driving along. and it starts to flash.... PANIC ! ! ! ! ..
what on earth is the glo plug flashing for... the engine is running fine... no clanks, knocks steam, smoke loss of power, ... everything seems to be ok.... BUT..
Somebody in SKODA land... decided it would be cool to use that inidcator to tell you that the BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH or BRAKE LIGHTS are not working.... !... and that is not in the handbook ! ! !... only found it out going on the BRISKODA forum... very handy thing to know... ! 
David_W
Rising Star

I don't drive cars but I do a motorbike which comes with a very handy user's manual.  Page 13 is amazingly accurate with #1 being "Wheel" however, it doesn't state if it's front or rear so could get confusing.  #16 is the seat, just in case you thought it was the handlebars, it only has a few lights, one is FI which when it turns on means something is up with FI, had to read the manual to find out what FI actually meant though.
Community Veteran

I haven't a clue just about sums it up for me.
I had the engine/stop light come on once which had me worried. I did stop and turn the engine off. Then I started up again and the light was off. I did an internet search and found the common reason for the engine/stop light to come on (on this car) was the seatbelt connectors under the seats. After making sure the connectors were well pushed in the red light has never come back.
One other thing that required another internet search was when I had to replace the battery. This seemed to reset a few things. The lights started turning themselves on and off (I didn't even know the car could do this by itself) and as I hated this it had to go.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

First vehicle I got was a mini van, only 2 warning lights, one to show the alternator or was it the dynamo was charging and the other to show there was adequate oil pressure.
I Wonder if we will reach a peak of the number warning lights and one day have a simple digital display that shows everything is in working order, or if it is not displays an appropriate error message.

I seem to remember that my dad's Ford Anglia (what a car but always looked sad lol) only had indicators, Gen, Oil and full beam warning lights.
Edit: While I'm at it I seem to remember that the speedo needle jumped all over the place; don't know how dad knew what speed he was really doing. Was this a 'feature' of the Anglia or a fault on his car?

Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
display that shows everything is in working order, or if it is not displays an appropriate error message.

One of my cars is pretty much like that already, and it's nearly 10 years old.