cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop Elephants from sitting on your Fence.

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

How to stop Elephants from sitting on your Fence.

In order to stop Elephants from sitting on wooden Fences separating sections of the Gardens, I came up with a solution.
Basically, it just involves placing a section of washing line, between concrete upright fence supports, centred over the fence.
It obviously works, as since I did it a while back, I have had no problems of Elephants sitting on my Fences !

And as an added bonus, it also dissuades village cats from using the tops of the fences as scratching posts, as they find it difficult to now walk along the tops of the Fences... !!

Now I just need to come up with a solution to stop Rhinos from coming onto the grounds !!
10 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: How to stop Elephants from sitting on your Fence.

I don't know what to say Lips are sealed
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Would those be 'Pink Elephants'?  Cheesy
Geoff,
York.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

My ultrasonic rodent scarer seems to work with elephants too - much simpler than stringing up lines between concrete posts.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

5000v fence energiser will do the job.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Do you have any data on the best height for the line above the fence panels?
I'd imagine this distance may vary depending on whether you're trying to discourage elephants, cats or other creatures (rats, goats etc.).  Maybe a double line at, say, 3 inches and 9 inches would cover most situations (until the elephants discover how flexible the line is and the just sit on the fence anyway).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Fixes: 47

Quote from: Strat
I don't know what to say Lips are sealed

I've just thought of something.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: PlusComUK
In order to stop Elephants from sitting on wooden Fences separating sections of the Gardens, I came up with a solution.
Basically, it just involves placing a section of washing line, between concrete upright fence supports, centred over the fence.
It obviously works, as since I did it a while back, I have had no problems of Elephants sitting on my Fences !

It also works for Unicorns !!
Since I installed the deterrents, I haven't seen a Unicorn either !!

A long time ago, when the Earth was green
There was more kinds of animals than you've ever seen
They'd run around free while the Earth was being born
And the loveliest of all was the unicorn
There was green alligators and long-necked geese
Some humpty backed camels and some chimpanzees
Some cats and rats and elephants, but sure as you're born
The loveliest of all was the unicorn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J60LNkqsxz8
Quote from: w23
Do you have any data on the best height for the line above the fence panels?
I'd imagine this distance may vary depending on whether you're trying to discourage elephants, cats or other creatures (rats, goats etc.).  Maybe a double line at, say, 3 inches and 9 inches would cover most situations (until the elephants discover how flexible the line is and the just sit on the fence anyway).

Trials suggested a 1" height was adequate....

Quote from: AlaricAdair
5000v fence energiser will do the job.

The washing line used is Orange, on a fence that is out of sight, so perhaps the Elephants think it is an electrified line ?
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

We own 2 cats and our neighbours once physically attacked one of our youngest ones as she was in the garden.
They also had the guts to have a rant with us when they saw our cat kill birds and mice - simply said it is their instinct and mother nature.
As for the attack - RSPCA got involved and neighbours were forced to pay for vets bill.
As for the fence - you can't really stop cats as they are sharpening their claws and it's part of life.
NE

Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
Community Veteran

Q: What time is it when an elephant sits on your fence?
A: Time to get a new fence but...
http://iwastesomuchtime.com/on/?i=88261
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I have found nailing a licorice allsort to each fence post keeps elephants away from my fence in Derbyshire.. It works for tigers and hippos too.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.