cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to run a £285 Million project?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

How to run a £285 Million project?

In my mid-career, before suffering grey hair disability, I ran some major software development projects. These delivered on time and too budget. The trick is to get the design right then get the basic main functionality working and well tested before adding the complex extras. This is basic project management skill.

If I was building a new airport in a new island location I might just lay a basic runway first and check whether planes could land/take off before adding the extra expense of all the buildings, support infrastructure.

I wonder if the tax payers can claim back their money for the failure of the St Helena airport?

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Re: How to run a £285 Million project?

You would have thought they would have done a meteorological survey as part of the feasibility study before they even laid a brick never mind the runway!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Yes, I'd class that as getting the design right.

Edit: Note the bit about stopping the Royal Mail Ship. I bet that goes ahead on schedule.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Mook wrote:

You would have thought they would have done a meteorological survey as part of the feasibility study before they even laid a brick never mind the runway!

I gather they did, but!  It proved difficult to do all the measurements they needed at the initial site - so they moved the testing location to a more favourable position that gave them the answers they were looking for?  Evil

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Well going by that I assume the difficulty was indeed the weather. It really makes you wonder why some people actually have the job they have and more to the point who gave it to them in the first place. But as it was a Government initiative no heads will roll as a result.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The amount of money wasted on that project is nothing compared to the many wind farms in this country which they are now saying are not viable because the locations chosen are not windy enough.

David_W
Rising Star

Government projects go like this...

Initial tender, we require X, can you supply X and how much to supply X?

Several companies say "we can supply X, it will cost Y"

Government ignores most of the suppliers and goes with their favourite company

Company A starts work on project X

Government middle managers think that project X requires some alterations, notifies company A

Company A makes the alterations to project X, Cost Y increases, time to delivery increases

More government middle managers think that the alterations are no longer required, notifies company A

Company A pulls their hair out and has another crack, Cost Y increases, time to deliver increases

Repeat this several times

Eventually, Company A releases project X, it's several years overdue, costs several times the initial tender and doesn't do what the original concept for the tender asked of it.

That, my kind sirs, is how you manage a £100 million project, and turn it into a £285 million project Smiley