cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove flexible hose assy on a Dyson Upright

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

How to remove flexible hose assy on a Dyson Upright

I have a Dyson DC 14 Upright Vacuum cleaner whose hose is broken in the grey cuff where it connects to the rigid part of the handle. I’m looking to repair this with a quick fix due to its age but I can’t see how to remove the cuff from the upright section of the rigid hose.

In this image I’m trying to remove the flexible hose assembly from handle casing, so if you can help I would appreciate it.

Dyson DC14Dyson DC14

It is the bit with the trigger for releasing the hose / handle assembly from the main body.

6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: How to remove flexible hose assy on a Dyson Upright

Jam a flat screwdriver into the two slots either side of the handle just above where the hose connects to the handle and prise it out, horrible machines to work on, had to replace the hose on my uncle's diesoon, so glad I never bought into the bagless fad...
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Given to us by the wife's mother, we had an English made c1940s Hoover Junior vacuum cleaner for about 20 years - well into the 80s in fact and still able to buy that single belt drive for it even then. Not the best 'sucker upper' in the world but it worked well enough for us and gave us years of service. Always smelt of dog hairs though so in the end we had to get shot of it. 

Two hundred or more smackers for a Dyson or whatever, I should cocoa. Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

I have many vacuums, mostly Kirbys, but the ones I use the most are a 1990s Tristar CXL from the US of A, an Electrolux C12 (a Sanitaire vac from the US too, but relabelled for the UK), and for the stuff I really don't like vaccing up, a miele S316i that was abused by its former owner & I got for £10 at a car boot sale...

Also have a rebuilt-with-cheap-parts Hoover Junior, just cos it's amusing... Grin

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Thanks @twocvbloke - It took me longer to remove the bit of spiral wire that was in the cowling that it did to take it apart then put it together!

As for the extra money @Minivanman it was worth it for me, as I’ve easily had this vacuum 10 years or more and today was the first time it has ever needed a repair. If you comply with the manufacturer’s instruction, like I do, you get in return many years of service, Iike I just have. Wink

Community Veteran

Yeah, I remember the time it took to remove the hose on my uncle's diesoon, they used some pretty hefty glue to hold it in place, think I ended up just cutting the thing out and peeling what was left out with pliers...

Does make me glad as to how easy it is to remove the hose from my Tristar's assembly, just a few screws and out it pops, though it is an electric hose, meaning it can send power to the brush head so it's not just a straight-suction machine... Smiley

Fixes: 47

I had a DC14 for a few years and it worked well.

The hose easily extended the full length of my stair unlike my current cleaner, a VAX.

It sustained damage during it's time with me and had a couple of replacement parts.

By the time I decided to replace it with the VAX it was being held together with cable ties.

It eventually found a new home with a friend who is still using it.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation