cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove credit black listing from an address

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

How to remove credit black listing from an address

OK guys.... this is serious... .... A friend has just approached his bank for a small loan, to buy another car,.... however, he has just found out that due to his wife`s appalling credit history, (she has moved out of his address), he cannot get the loan, despite his previous good record, (that the bank agrees with), ... because when the bank applied to credit reference agencies, they found the address was blacklisted...
so ... have any of you been in this situation, and how did you resolve it.... to remove the "black listing" from the address?
(and, No.... it isn`t me.... Despite my avatar! ! !)...
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: How to remove credit black listing from an address

I Would suggest he contacts the credit refrence agencies in the first instance and explain the situation in addition to asking what he needs to do.
Suspect it will be very tricky if the house is in joint names or any bank accounts are in joint names.
One of our friends moved into a house that had been blacklisted for credit and it took them some time to get it sorted out.
They should blacklist people rather than an address
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I doubt its so much the address as it is 'HER' and that they were married.
I once heard that you can do a notice of disassociation or something which most financial places will then take into account. Can't really say more than that as you'd need to look into it yourself.
Does your friend have any spare cash at the moment? - If so PM me and I'll tell you about some repair tip I heard years ago which I've heard of people using.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Thanks for the responses, so far.... Ok.... your "notice of disassociation" rings a bell, and I have googled that phrase, and come up with a useful page  "Desktop Lawyer" on this
http://www.desktoplawyer.co.uk/dtl/index.cfm?event=base:article&node=A76049B76333D76562
so I will email that across to him.......
Not sure of his personal finances... and really don`t want to "pry".... but if I should find out , then I may take you up on the PM offer.... (Perhaps you could PM me with an outline?)
Community Veteran

I think I'd agree with the advice from Gleneagles on this.  I think the credit agencies have a responsibility to correct any incorrect information they hold.
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
They should blacklist people rather than an address

They do.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yes I thought that too. When I worked for a Gov't dept years ago we were told that the credit agencies had stopped blacklisting properties as it was making life too hard for people who moved into them.
I wasn't aware it was going on again hence my info about disassociating because now they associate you with who you're financially related too.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

From my previous posting
http://www.desktoplawyer.co.uk/dtl/index.cfm?event=base:article&node=A76049B76333D76562

Notice of disassociation
A great deal of incorrect information arises not from "identity theft" but from general confusion which can arise from living near (or with) someone who has a bad credit rating. To deal with this, you need to serve a Notice of Disassociation on the credit reference agency. Once you have disassociated yourself from someone, only your information will be used by the lender to assess your application for credit. The credit reference agency has 28 days to complete this process following receipt of a notice of disassociation from you.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

If all the above advice fails; try the Citizens Advice Bureau. May not be their bag but you never know.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.