cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to murder your wife.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

How to murder your wife.

We have a fridge/freezer of the type that has a built in water dispenser (Beko) Which generally works quite well. Its not the plumbed in type, but has a lift-out container that is filled with water...no problem so far! except, I have been filling ours from a Britas filter jug. The jug has not had its filter changed for a good long time and, for good measure stands in the kitchen adjacent to a window that gets full sunlight. The quick on the up-take may have guessed what has happened now...
For a while SWMBO has been suffering quite severe stomach and er! bowel problems, since we both eat largely the same thing (in different proportions) and I have not been suffering any problems in that direction, the search was on to find the reason. It so happen I only rarely have water from the dispenser. A dietitian we were visiting for the Mrs immediately blamed the water dispenser (actually the Britas filter) supplying water to my wife direct from the tap (she has to drink a lot) certainly seems to have cured the problem.
So, does any body know how to dismantle a Beko dispenser for sterilizing (the filter jug has gone to that great fountain in the sky) as we would like to resume using it, but it is probably contaminated? and don't particularly want to purchase a new fridge/freezer for this.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: How to murder your wife.

First of all..... I know you are a "bloke".... so you have probably
1. put the "user guide" somewhere safe..... and forgotten where...
2... chucked it out...
so
3.... Find out what model it is, and then try contacting the supplier to see if you can get one.... or failing that....you may like to scroll down this page
http://shop.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/Fridge+Water+Filters/Beko+Water+Filters/4346610101+Genuine+Beko+Fridg...
click on the "contact us" link, and send them an email..... asking if they stock the filter... and
   "  Please can you give me detailed instructions on how to change it .... Thank you very much..... "
Community Veteran

Thanks Gerry. I'll be delving into that post-haste.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

an alternative is to have a filtration system fitted to the incoming supply.  friends of mine have a separate tap to one side of the sink for potable water and never drink from the main tap.  took me a while to get the idea because i drink plain old tap water - usually as tea.  then you'll never need to fiddle with the fridge again.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artificer
friends of mine have a separate tap to one side of the sink for potable water

So do we, but in our case it's because the main tap goes via a water softener rather than one of those filters (which I personally think is pointless).
Cold plain tap water, especially in hard water areas, just tastes so much better.
As for the softened water, it does seem to make better tea and coffee, though I have heard comments (without any firm evidence) that it's not a good idea to do this regularly due to higher sodium levels in the softened water.
(Water softeners exchange Calcium ions for Sodium in case you didn't know)  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I would suggest completely empty it and then fill it with a Milton solution used for cleaning babies bottles etc and leave it for the recommended time. Drain and flush it through a couple of times and I'd think you should be OK.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Thanks jelv, I'd already wondered if that might be sufficient...one way to find out.
Petlew retires to locate a guinea pig.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Need to be careful about water supplies as I've been told if you don't let water run long enough you can pick up legionaires disease from the tap.
@HP: Your right about the water softener thing, I've also heard that water softeners can contribute to a heart attack and other health problems. While they're supposedly good for washing machines etc hard water for some odd reason is supposed to be far healthier for you to drink. Ever thought of bottled?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

what harbours Legionella is dead legs on a system where the water comes from a tank in the building, once did a course on it, worked in a mullty floor building, even drinking cold water in basement, piped to the top floors
we had an infection of Legionella 9, which was found by routine tests, not dangerous but an indicator that work had to be done.
Iin domestic location, one problem is old houses with lead pipes, that should be run before drinking.  The hot water is only likely to be a problem except in shower heads
see here for more info http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/legionella.htm