cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to identify cistern type.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

How to identify cistern type.

One of my toilet cisterns is leaking water into the bowl and I'd like to get a new seal to fix it but I can't see anything that allows me to identify it other that the flush button that says Armitage Shanks. On looking inside I see a bar code but a search finds nothing that relates to it.

If anyone knows how I can identify this I'd be obliged.

9 REPLIES
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: How to identify cistern type.

From your description I would suspect that the syphon needs replacing rather than a simply replacing a seal. Unfortunately nowadays you have to buy a complete syphon assembly rather than being able to dismantle and refurbish it with a new seal. Replacing the syphon usually requires the cistern to be drained and disconnected from the toilet bowl, and if it is a close fitting toilet the whole cistern needs to be removed from the wall.

All of this can be done by a competent DIYer, but from personal experience I would recommend getting in a plumber. You may be lucky and the plumber may have spares to refurbish the syphon in situ, half an hour job, that'll be £30 quid to replace a seal costing less than a fiver if you could get hold of one.

My other car isn't a Ferrari
Community Veteran

Thanks for that @maranello, and from what you say I may need a Plumber after all, but either way I'd still like to find out the model so I can either get one myself or give the information to the Plumber so he can at least come armed with a replacement. It's always good to say I can get one online for £X when you call service people, that way they know they can't get away with over inflating their parts pricing.

Community Veteran

Senf a pic to AS nd they may be able to identify it for you. It could be the inards of all their systems are the same.
RobPN
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@Mook

If you can do without the use of that particular toilet for a few days it may be worth disassembling the cistern/syphon to check the appearance of the seal.  Once you've taken some measurements it may be possible to find a replacement from the probable thousands on eBay.

8BKA
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Hi  

If its a modern type with flush button on middle of the lid and no overflow pipe it may be a Siamp and these are designed to overflow into the toilet pan when the washer wares I have had this problem.

Its an easy job to change the washer once you remove the lid there is a screw when you push down the know don't force it like one of neighbours did 

I found my local plumbers merchant was the only place I could buy them or Ebay

Brian A

Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

@Mook  

Google...

Images

search box     [     Armitage Shanks Toilet Cistern    ]

click search...

Then scroll the pics for similar, same type... !

Community Veteran

Thanks for the input guys, I'll go with what now, is the screamingly obvious answer suggested by @artmo. For what it's worth @8BKA it is one of those dual flush jobbies (pun intended).

Baldrick1
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 61

From your description it is a modern type with a flush valve, not a syphon. The first thing to do is find what is leaking. This could be from two sources, either the water inlet float valve or the flush valve.

If you take the top off the tank you need to look at the water level. If the level is above the norm and overflowing into the pan then the fault is due to a failed diaphram in the float valve. These are easy to change and are available from plumbers merchants. This is the most common fault.

If the water level is below the overflow and water is constantly flowing into the pan then you have a problem with the flush valve. You might find that this can be solved by stripping the flush valve and washing any hard water deposits out.

Community Veteran

Thanks to a link provided by @shutter (in a PM) I have now found out the type and it is in fact one of these. However as @Baldrick1 says the leak could be from either of devices inside so I'll slope this one and just call the Plumber in.