Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to identify anonymous nuisance calls on your mobile

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

How to identify anonymous nuisance calls on your mobile

A TV researcher who was bombarded with nuisance calls turned detective to track down the culprit after police said they could not help her.
Only works with your mobile, at the moment   AFAIK.
There is a monthly fee, but if you are harassed, it would be worth it.

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1595624_tv-researcher-tracks-down-rochdale-nuisan...
http://ambushcall.co.uk/
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: How to identify anonymous nuisance calls on your mobile

Very useful link.
Makes me wonder why the Police are not aware of this service so they could advise people who get these type of calls to use it.
Razer
Grafter

I'm most intrigued to know how they unmask the number. The fact that they can seems to imply a number withheld isn't actually withheld, or there's some form of 'bug' in the system that they capitalise on.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 64

Has its limitations:
I'm not receiving my Unmasked emails, what’s going on? I received a call from an "Unknown" number and it came back as "Unknown"? In this case, the number isn't being withheld, it is genuinely unavailable. It could be originating from an international destination or VOIP call.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

I'm most intrigued to know how they unmask the number. The fact that they can seems to imply a number withheld isn't actually withheld, or there's some form of 'bug' in the system that they capitalise on.

I believe that the Caller ID information is still there for 'WithHeld' numbers, it's just that a flag is set requesting that it's not displayed. If you forward the call to a VOIP system like Asterix then that can still extract the caller ID.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Razer

If you look around on the site you will see that it has partnered with all the major mobile operators. Basically, the phone number is sent with the outgoing call but the phone networks intentionally withold it from you if the caller wants to with hold it.
That should really inspire you with confidence in our police force shouldn't it. The number IS legitimately available to them they just choose to say there is nothing they can do even though they have legal powers to find out the callers number. A little website strangely can access the callers details without any legal powers because the information IS available but just not made accessible to most people. I think it stinks personally if the police are really denying they can't get a phone number that easily.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: MisterW
I believe that the Caller ID information is still there for 'WithHeld' numbers, it's just that a flag is set requesting that it's not displayed. If you forward the call to a VOIP system like Asterix then that can still extract the caller ID.

Ah, I had wondered if it was something like that. Quite worrying, really, when I think of all the companies and government agencies I call with my number withheld because I don't want them calling me when they like. Does this flag also apply to land lines, or is it just mobiles (as this company can only do it with mobiles)?
Quote from: Sprite
If you look around on the site you will see that it has partnered with all the major mobile operators. Basically, the phone number is sent with the outgoing call but the phone networks intentionally withold it from you if the caller wants to with hold it.

It's a bit of an insult to customers to work behind their backs with another company to reveal your number, despite your own choice to withhold it. I can see the positive side if you're getting nuisance calls, but still, if I want to withhold my number I'd like to know that it really will be withheld.
Community Veteran

if I want to withhold my number I'd like to know that it really will be withheld.

Get a cheap phone and sim off ebay. Use it, bin it. Job done  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Get a cheap phone and sim off ebay. Use it, bin it.....

Make sure that cheap phone is turned off except when making a call and don't use it at home or when your face is in range of CCTV surveillance cameras. Software exists and is marketed which correlates the phone to you, even cheap SIM only.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Razer
Grafter

Get a cheap phone and sim off ebay. Use it, bin it. Job done  Wink

Actually, until recently I had three mobiles; I call them my control phones. Only certain people and agencies get a certain number if it becomes essential to give one and if need be I could dump the number. As things have transpired I've never needed to dump any number. But this is mobile, which I hate anyway (yeah, hate them but had three of the things). I'd still like to know if this 'number revealing/flag disabling' can be applied to land lines.
Community Veteran

I'd still like to know if this 'number revealing/flag disabling' can be applied to land lines.

Ask in the plusnet phone forum. They supply phone to some customers so I would imagine some of their people would know.
David_W
Rising Star

@Razer.  As far as I know it is possible, sort of, with land lines.  Sometimes when you withhold your number you may phone up a company and their exchange system will remove the mask meaning your number is displayed.  My best guess for this mobile system is that when you press and hold reject for 3 seconds the call gets forwarded to the websites phone system which is set up to ignore the withheld flag so the number is displayed to them, they can then email you the resulting number (they have your number as it's forwarded from it, and the callers number as the number is connected to them).  I'd guess the reason the website doesn't work on landlines is because of the need to forward the phone call.
Of course, it's also possible to ensure you never get a withheld number phoning you, the downside is you can never withhold your own number and friends who always block theirs will never be able to call you (my sister always blocks her number for some reason).
Razer
Grafter

If friends/associates phone me and withhold their number, I become a withheld recipient.
David_W
Rising Star

It's a BT thing, they can physically make it so no numbers which are withheld can phone you, they get a rejected message, but the downside to it is you also can't withhold your number.
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8482/~/anonymous-call-rejection
It's not cheap though, runs at £4.30 a month!