cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to discourage children smoking

annerimmington
Grafter

How to discourage children smoking

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2104515/Is-plain-packaging-key-making-cigarette-smoking-ap...
I don`t think plain packaging will have any impact whatsoever.  What needs to happen is for it to be banned on tv programmes which many kids watch and think it`s "cool" to smoke if they see their favourite soap star dragging on a fag.    Increasing the price will also help and, as one of the comments mentions, taking kids round chest  hospital wards to see the affects smoking can have - shock tactics can work and hopefully discourage them.
50 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: How to discourage children smoking

The most depressing thing is that, in my youth in the 60's and 70's smoking was actively encouraged, even described in some parts of the medical profession as beneficial to health. Fast forward to the mid eighties onward, when every generation since has had the graphic details of the results of smoking thrust down their throats. These generations cannot say that nobody told them...they did in bucket loads.
But even today, the advice is routinely ignored. The only difference now is that maybe the NHS perhaps shouldn't be responsible for clearing up the mess for free any more for people who of their own free will put themselves in this sort of danger.
I agree about films and TV, however does that mean the entire back catalogues from Hollywood will be banned, as a lot of smoking went on in them.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Yet another thing which will make no difference whatsoever. We've already had in the past:

• Banning TV advertising.

• Banning magazine advertising.

• Banning use of words like 'Lights', etc.

• Making the warnings bigger.

• Putting pictures on the warnings.

• Public smoking ban.

• Raising the minimum age from 16 to 18.

• Banning pub vending machines.

• Removing them on display (coming soon to a newsagent/supermarket near you).

And of course, the smoking rate drops dramatically each time Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Fortunately I've never smoked.  Have lots of friends that do and you can see the effect it's having on their health.  Many surgeons won't operate on a patient now until they have stopped smoking for a period of time.
The cost to the NHS is unbelievably high and smokers should bear some of this cost. 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I had major spine surgery in 2000. The anaesthetist, was still concerned that I had been a smoker, but (by then) had given it up more than 25 years previously. The effects of smoking will dog you for the rest of your life.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

A few , very few, kids, will not smoke, it is because they have not been in a smoking family, and can smell the effects on smoking on those that do.... for the other 95% it is part of growing up and being "big" in front of your mates, (male and female)... in the same way as the transition from scooting on a scooter, to riding a "proper" two wheeled bike to school. or later still giving a go at drugs, just to prove to your mates that you CAN do it, and still get away with it....
Kids will never be educated into the dire consequences.... after all, unless they have actually got someone in the family who is actively dying of lung cancer, they will want to prove to themselves that they are as grown up as the next kid......
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

All new TV programmes and films should not have any smoking scenes in them, but old TV programmes and films should not be edited to cut out smoking scenes but by default they should be a 15 Rating if thay have a smoking scene in them!
Community Veteran

I wonder if smokers realise how unpleasant they smell from stale tobacco smoke that gets into their clothing Undecided
Community Veteran

You don't have to be a smoker to get lung cancer.  Entertainer Roy Castle had the illness as a non smoker.  It was put down to the air in all the clubs he entertained in.
Roy Castle
itsme
Grafter

What is the cost to the NHS on smoking related diseases and Diabetes and the related side effects? With most type 2 diabetes being life style related, so should we ban all food?
itsme
Grafter

and if you do not know the cost.
[quote=http://www.diabetes.co.uk/cost-of-diabetes.html]The cost of diabetes to the NHS is £1m an hour or 10% of the NHS budget for England and Wales. This equates to £16,666 being spent on diabetes every minute.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@artmo, It is not just smokers that smell from stale tobacco, I don't smoke but my lass does and I have had people ask me if I smoke, I did over 20 years ago, but I would not thank you for a Cigarette today.
I am trying to get my lass to give up Cigarettes!  But I seem to be fighting a losing battle.   Sad  Cry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: artmo
The cost to the NHS is unbelievably high and smokers should bear some of this cost.   

Not defending smoking but, with the duty rate on cigarrettes, they probably already bear all of the cost and more.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I've never smoked and I used to dread pubs/clubs because they were always full of the stuff. The OH on the other hand used to smoke like a trooper when we met.. not quite sure how that worked out other than they decided to give it up.a couple of months into our relatonship.
There is definitely something in the blind leading the blind thing though.. its drilled into kids that they'll be respected and seen as tough if they smoke (same with drugs) when the reality is that it takes balls to resist and you're clearly weak if you cave in to other peoples demands.
Frankly I think the cig companies should be forced to pay 100% of treatment costs that the NHS has to provide. I don't know why this hasn't already been done.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
James
Grafter

Quote from: Sprite
Frankly I think the cig companies should be forced to pay 100% of treatment costs that the NHS has to provide. I don't know why this hasn't already been done.

You'll be asking GM to fund all injuries from car crashes next. Seriously, noone forces people to smoke.