cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to de-fur a kettle

Fixes: 125

How to de-fur a kettle

SWMBO wants to de-fur the kettle (we live in hard water area).
One online suggestion is to mix (1:1) white distilled vinegar (which we have) with water and leave in the kettle for a few hours (no boiling) or even over night.
To get rid of any stubborn fur then make a paste with bicarbonate of soda and water and rub the affected area.
Does anyone have any other home-made (or other) solutions?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

25 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: How to de-fur a kettle

No, vinegar solution is about as good as you'll get in terms of cost and effectiveness.
Other household acids should also work (lemon juice for example).
You can switch the kettle on while using the vinegar solution to speed up the process but it can suddenly foam up so be ready to switch off quickly if using this method.
The kettle needs plenty of rinsing after using vinegar (though this is also true if using commercial descalers).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I just use lemon or lime juice diluted - I did try vinegar but the smell was awful
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Vinegar here too but you do have to boil the kettle so that the steam inside also deals with the rest of the crud around the top of the kettle.
The kettle will come out totally bling after but you'll need to rinse and boil a few times to remove the vinegar smell. You'll also want a window open while you do it as the kitchen will stink  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

As above, vinegar or a bottle of cheap coca cola (also good for descaling toilets).
Bicarb of soda is won't get rid of the scale through chemical processes but will act as an abrasive so ok for scrubbing.

SWMBO is trying the vinegar/water solution at the moment.
I've suggested she boils the kettle in the garden - with the doors SHUT. I hate the smell of vinegar Wink
Thanks for all your advice and will let you know how it pans out (or is that kettles out Undecided).

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

I wouldn't bother boiling the kettle - all you'll really get is steam. A wipe over with a cloth soaked in vinegar would be more beneficial.
I'd leave the kettle for a good few hours - possibly overnight for the scale to dissolve
Community Veteran

Empty the kettle and switch it on.  After about 30 seconds unplug and cover the element with cold water.  The scale just cracks away.  Quite safe to do.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Nip to Boots chemist, buy a small tub of citric acid and put half a teaspoon in about half a pint of water, boil, cleans it totally in no time flat!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

We've put one of those limescale collectors in the kettle (e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kitchen-Craft-Steel-Kettle-Collector/dp/B0001IWUCC) to prevent the fur forming in the first place - it's very effective
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)

@jelv we've got one now Cheesy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I'm sure all of the above work well, but a packet of "Descale" from you local supermarket if the instructions are followed except to leave overnight rather than the half-hour they suggest works very well. In the morning a bright shiny kettle (needs to be boiled out a couple of times though)
Metal wool limescale collectors are not a great idea in plastic or glass kettles, they can wear through the former and badly scratch the latter.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Why bother..... might just as well buy a new kettle.... only about a fiver from Asda....
and just to prove it..... here`s your starter link.....
http://direct.asda.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-ASDA-Site/default/Search-Show?q=electric%20kettle&s...
Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: shutter
Why bother..... might just as well buy a new kettle....

And we wonder why we live in such a wasteful society  Tongue
Though I will admit taking a similar course when my eldest was toilet training and Tesco Value toddler's underpants were 30 odd pence a pair... [/coat]
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Forgot to add........
The old kettle would then have to be Re-cycled down at the local dump.... ( electrical re-cycling department )  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy